Hinge pins moving inside gimbal ring

Marada92

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello all... I've searched through threads for days and can't find an answer to this issue. I've got an 18' bowrider with an alpha gen 2 drive that a purchased not long ago that I'm unfortunatly realizing wasn't cared for very well. With the drive partially trimed up I can lift the lower unit and see the hinge pins move around 1/8" inside the gimbal ring. I've found where people had up and down play due to a loose or worn tiller arm but haven't seen anyone with slack at the hinge pins. Am I looking at needing to replace the gimbal ring? It has minimal side to side play also. I'm in the beginning process of a stringer/transom replacement so I will have the motor and transom assembly out anyways. Also considering replacing the entire transom assembly with a new unit. Figure by the time I replace everything that's bad from little or no upkeep i'd be better off with a new assembly. Found some places that want $2000 for entire unit including trim cylinders.. And some as high as $5000.:eek:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hinge pins moving inside gimbal ring

Might be able to install SS sleeves to return it to normal specs

Marada92

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is this a normal wear point in the alphas or is there going to be another problem somewhere that caused it?

Marada92

Petty Officer 1st Class

No it's definatly moving inside the ring. As far as the bushing missing in the trim ram.. Yea there's a possibility it's missing and adding to the upwards slack in the drive but the majority of the slack can be seen in the ring itself. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. There's more play in the port side pin than there is in the starboard though.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the hinge pins are actually turning inside the gimbal ring, they need to be torques down to 100 ft. lbs. then they won't turn anymore. The manual even calls for locktite.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1

Marada92

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don this isn't turning.. This is like the hole in the gimbal ring is larger than it should be.. Like trying to put a 1/2" rod in a 3/4 hole.. You've got some wiggle room.. I'll take closer look at it once I get the drive off. That should be this week sometime.. That way I can get some more movement in it.. Thanks for the help
so far!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

PM me if you want to try inserts

Marada92

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok thanks BT.. I've still got to do an entire rebuild on the inside of this boat so it's going to be awhile before it gets to hit the water again so I'm in no hurry at the momment. Just trying to plan out what's going to need replacing. If it looks the sleeves will fix the problem I'll definatly be in contact with you! Would be alot cheaper than replacing the entire ring. Thanks again! I'll update as soon as I figure something out on it.

Marada92

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know this is an old thread but it's my old thread so maybe that'll make it ok to bring it back.. :D Don if you can get around to seeing this I've got a question on your post above about the pins turning. I finally got some free time between work and the demo to get a good look at the gimbal. Popped the trim senders off and when you lift up on the bellhousing the head of the pin tilts in the opposite direction. They are also turning when you tilt the bell housing up and down so if I'm reading your post correctly this means they are loose.. Right? Went in search of a 1/2" allen wrench today to check them and go figure everywhere around here is either sold out or doesn't carry anything larger than a 3/8. So I have the merc tool on order.. Found one for a decent price on eBay.. And hopefully this will fix the problem. Will definatly be a relief if so! if they are loose I'll back them out.. Slap some loctite on and torque them back down... If not I'll blow some dust out the wallet in hopes of finding some $$ for new parts.

Marada92

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will not resurrect old threads
Sorry Don... I linked to my thread from google and didnt see the sticky until after I'd replied.. But I'm only 12 days past the 60 day mark.. Can I just type it 50 times? :facepalm: