Mercruiser 3.0L starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon666

Cadet
Hi<br />My 3.0L mercruiser starter is on its last legs :( <br />Mercruiser parts are very expensive and hard to get in the UK, so i was wondering if this starter shared any parts with a car/truck starter i could use to rebuild it or replace it with?<br />Also does anyone know the tread size for the bolts that hold on the starter?<br />Many thanks fellow boaters!<br />Simon.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Mercruiser 3.0L starter

Simon,your engine uses a standard GM starter that has been spark proofed for marine use.If there are automotive electrical repair shops over there,they should be able to help you.Just be sure to tell them it's for marine use.Bolt size is 3/8 coarse.

Bondo

Staff member

Yep,<br />What DHP says......<br />Bolts are 3/8s-16......<br />Takes a 9/16ths wrench......<br />The difference between your Marine starter,+ a Chevy starter,<br />Is a Thin Metal Plate that seperates the Motor cavity,+ the bendix drive cavity......<br />The plate keeps the sparks isolated........

simon666

Cadet

Wow!<br />Thanks so much guys, such a great help.<br />There is a place that breaks US vehicles near me what is the exact model Chevy car/van i should ask for? Do you think i could use the spark arrestor plate from my old starter?<br />Just a thought! <br />Thanks again.

Bondo

Staff member

Do you think i could use the spark arrestor plate from my old starter?
Chances are Very Good........<br /><br />Chevy uses Basicly 2 starters......<br />Bolts straight accross....<br />And the Staggered bolt pattern......<br /><br />If you go to a Gear-reduction style of starter,<br />There's No Difference between Automotive,+ Marine.......

simon666

Cadet

thanks for the help guys, but one last thing....<br />Ive wire brushed the rusty lump of a starter and can now make out a number...<br />1108434 9 K 23<br />Delco Remy USA<br />I cant seem to cross reference that number with the mercruiser or Delco websites<br />It is a 9 tooth drive type<br />The engine is a 89(ish) mercrusier 3.0L<br />The starter is a straight accross bolt type.<br />Does this ebay one look right?<br />Ebay Link <br />That one appears to be a 11 tooth drive, does it matter?<br />How do i know my flywheel size?<br />I believe that one is a reduction gear type which the Auto is the same as marine spec?<br />If thats the right one does someone have a Delco (or similar make)part number i could ask for in my local auto shop.<br />Or maybe someone would be willing to ship a starter to the UK????<br />Here in the UK mercruiser parts are like gold dust unless you pay with your arm and leg! Then theres the fuel prices 3.5 times the USA price!!! but thats another story!<br />cheers chaps.

DHPMARINE

Captain

simon c. That starter seems okay,and seems to be marine.The question is how much will it be at the end of the bidding?<br /> But it does give you several #'s to research.<br /> 9 or 11 tooth gear doesn't matter.Maybe on big blocks,but not 3.0L<br />DHP

JNess

Recruit
I know this is a old thread, but I wanted to know the same answer. I matched up my 87 3.0 mercruiser starter with one from a 1965 chevy 2 with the L4 2.5. Works great. Just wanted to maybe help someone else.

Bondo

Staff member
I know this is a old thread, but I wanted to know the same answer. I matched up my 87 3.0 mercruiser starter with one from a 1965 chevy 2 with the L4 2.5. Works great. Just wanted to maybe help someone else.

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,..... An automotive starter on a boat motor is an Explosion Hazard,.....

Electrical components on boat motors must have the extra explosion proofing done to them,.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Closed because it's an old thread, but more importantly, this is the kind of advice that kills people.

Status
Not open for further replies.