5.7 Mercruiser water in cylinders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juancho

Seaman
Re: 5.7 Mercruiser water in cylinders

P.S. I do not want to pay anything for it, because as the mechanic told you it is toast.

Vadave

Cadet

ok i get the point. THe reason i still am considering replacing is that i took it to another marina and they said that they think it is a cracked head or block. $500 to check and $2500 to fix if it is just a cracked head. If the block is toast i still have to geat a new engine and i'm out that money. as far as the exhaust off. i mean the manifold. i am a little unclear on this. maybe i'm just a sucker. i would love for it to just be an exhaust and manifold and be back in the water. Based on what they are saying it is at least 3000 worth of work. I just don't want to be without a boat in july and august. Otherwise i would just replace the manifold and riser and pray. I don't know about where you guys are at. but if you have problems here you can expect to wait 3-4 weeks to get it looked at mid season. I would like to fix it right and not have to be concerned with that.

Vadave

Cadet

ps i am taking it to another (3rd) shop this week. its a friend of my auto mechanics who i am sure will be honest as the automech is a friend of the family. we'll see. Hopefully i'll have better news after that. he allso said that he can get a good rebuilt for about 1700 if that's what should be done.

D

DJ

buckeye,<br /><br />Your auto tech friend can replace your risers and manifolds in a matter of hours. <br /><br />If that turns out to not be the problem, I wouldn't put old manifolds and risers on a rebuilt anyway. It would not be wasted money.

Vadave

Cadet

i guess i'll try that and see what happens. i can get the boat in the water and try it and then like you said i can take the manifolds and risers to the rebuilt if i end up in that boat. pardon the pun. that seems like the best course of action. Thanks for all the advice guys.<br /><br />dave

Juancho

Seaman

Does this mean I don't get your engine block? OKay, all kidding aside. I think you are back on track. Try the manifolds and risers first. Buy the parts and get a Seloc manula for your particular powerplant. Your mechanic friend should have no problem following the instructions in the manual. It is a pretty straight-forward install. <br /><br />How can you have a fatal crack in the block, but still have good compression in all cylinders? I would think a rupture in either the block, head or head gasket would kill the compression in at least one cylinder.

She Yacht 1

Recruit
I have my 1989 Sea Ray Sundancer 2 5.7 Mercruisers and have the exact problem. Good reading,my mechanic is going to get back to me tomorrow with a prognosis. My gut tells me he didn’t winterize it correctly and it will be a cracked block. I will let you know.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I'll play devils advocate and say the two mechanics, while they aren't giving you the news you want to hear ($$$), are giving you good advice. It doesn't make sense to spend $2-3k and still have an engine that has had water intrusion by maybe two sources for an unknown amount of time. You would just be POd late when the engine didn't live very long after repairs.

If you can find find a local shop that understands marine engines and can get yours or similar rebuild (with correct marine cam, gaskets and freeze plugs) for $2k may be your best bet.

What condtion is the rest of the boat , is it structurally sound and the interior is good ?

southkogs

Staff member
I'm pretty sure in 16 years, one way or another this is resolved. Gonna' let the dust settle back on this topic.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.