How do I clean aluminum tank w/o removing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlt4ib

Recruit
How do I clean aluminum gas tank w/o removing it from the boat?<br /><br />I think that 2 years of winterizing (adding Sta-Bil to) the same tank of gas has left stuff in the tank that keeps gumming the carb and robbing me of HP. I was planning to pump out the gas, leave open and fan vapors out for a few days, add some fire-resistant chemical (or fill to the brim with water), then cut large hole in top. Punch initial hole(s) with awl or slow speed drill and finish with shears. From this I would drain again, clean out, then weld new aluminum over the hole. I don't want to be a Darwin award winner, but I don't think that I need to fork over thousand$$$ to separate the hull from the top of the boat either. The tanks (75 gals and 65 gals) don't come out easily.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: How do I clean aluminum tank w/o removing

how 'bout inline filters? clear ones that are easy<br />to see if there's any (rap in there....<br />2yrs ain't a lot IMHO.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How do I clean aluminum tank w/o removing

i guess you Could do that..........<br /><br />what I did was;<br />remove the OUTbound line from the merc. fuel filter, Add an eletric fuel pump, with a Loong hose back to the fill cap of the fuel tank, Ran the fuel through the filter for several hours, while shifting the attitude of the boat on the trailer(to make sure i got all of the bubble of water), Then remove the extra fuel pump,+ hose, hook back up the original fuel system..... remove the now Full Of Water filter,+ replace with a new one....Captured enough water to ruin several fuel filters under normal running.....<br /><br />this worked for me,+ was a Lot easier than pulling 2 underfloor tanks.......<br /><br />Bondo<br /><br />After posting, then rereading your post, Let me add;<br />set up the system in my above post,Then DRAIN the Gas? out of your tanks,+ give it to your favorite teenager to burn in his car......after refilling with fresh stabilized gas, proceed with the filtration for an hour or so.....

Status
Not open for further replies.