Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Mercruiser trim is all the way up, but won't go down.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercruiser trim is all the way up, but won't go down.

I have a 1979 Mercruiser 228. After running all day today I came back to wash down. The trim went all the way up, but now won't go down. The "automatic stop" has not worked on the trim for years, and the indicator hardly works as well. When I hit the trim up buttons, I can hear the motor run, but nothing when I try to trim down. Please let me know where I should start to investigate.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Mercruiser trim is all the way up, but won't go down.

Originally posted by MelLandry View Post
    I have a 1979 Mercruiser 228. After running all day today I came back to wash down. The trim went all the way up, but now won't go down. The "automatic stop" has not worked on the trim for years, and the indicator hardly works as well. When I hit the trim up buttons, I can hear the motor run, but nothing when I try to trim down. Please let me know where I should start to investigate.

Thanks in advance.
    Here try this and see if it helps solve the problem. May be the down solenoid switch.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/97/97hs6.pdf

Comment

Start by cleaning all of the electrical connections.
      1987 Wellcraft 23' NovaXL
      Mercruiser 260/Alpha I

Comment

Originally posted by MelLandry View Post
        When I hit the trim up buttons, I can hear the motor run, but nothing when I try to trim down.
        The fact that you can hear the motor running would rule out an electrical issue. It may just be stuck. Try standing on it while someone trims it down.

Comment

try checking the fluid level , that was what was wrong with mine , i had to stand on it to get it down and while it was down i filed it up and now its fine .

Comment

I had a bad ground to pump. Would go up but not down, good luck!

Comment

Go up, and then quickly down. Often works for me.
              Baba-buoy.

Comment

Working...
              X