PCM 555 codes

FLCobalt

Cadet
Hello,

I am trying to locate a place explaining the codes from a Rinda scan tool. I delivered a 2005 Formula 400 SS with twin 496 HO engines to a customer and the port side engine throws the alarm on after 4000 rpm. I sent them a Rinda Scan tool and the codes they get are 160 prt emct ovrth and 179 stb emct ovrth. The boat is in Europe and nobody seems to know what these codes are. Does anyone know if they are exhaust manifold temperature related or something else?

45Auto

Commander
Re: PCM 555 codes

The codes are probably port and starboard "emct ovrht" instead of "emct ovrth". You're right, they are port and starboard "Exhaust Manifold Coolant Temp Over Heat". See the #17 on the page below from Manual #33, PCM 555 Diagnostics:

abb.jpg

code.jpg

Hope it helps. My first guess would be that it's time for new impellers in the raw water pumps.

If you would like to loan me your Rinda tool when you get it back, I sure could use it to clear a code on my 496. Tried to crank it with a low battery one day (inverter had been left on overnight) and it stored a "low voltage" code that shows up on my Smartcraft gauges every time I crank the thing now. Might as well buy one for what the dealer here wants just to scan it and clear it!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you would like to loan me your Rinda tool when you get it back,

Might as well break down and get one of those scan tools, if you have a 496, or about any Marine EIF, the tool is going to help you in many ways. It's also upgradable. The lap top and software is nice for production shops, but way overkill for a DIYer. I have one, and it works just as good as the computer. Just more time consuming. And only about 400 bucks.

newport dave

Chief Petty Officer

If you would like to loan me your Rinda tool when you get it back, I sure could use it to clear a code on my 496. Tried to crank it with a low battery one day (inverter had been left on overnight) and it stored a "low voltage" code that shows up on my Smartcraft gauges every time I crank the thing now. Might as well buy one for what the dealer here wants just to scan it and clear it!

You can't see stored faults on a Smartcraft display, if you are seeing one then the fault is "Active" meaning it is actually occuring. You may want to check the condition of your batteries, connections, ect.

SimonB

Cadet

I just broke down and bought the Rinda software. I have a 496 MAG. Can anyone tell me where the diagnostic port is that the scanner has to connect to?

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats SimonB
Best to start your own thread, not hijack someone elses thread for your question, even if it is an old thread.
Also, include the information in the sticky at the top of this forum about how to ask a question.

SimonB

Cadet

Sorry! First time on the board. I'll post a separate thread.

Thanks!