Alpha shift cable repair sleeve

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Cannot find my post about the brass insert to repair the threads in the Alpha housing and someomne on this site was asking about it. Having trouble with the messages to respond here

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
found it Developed a process to repair the threaded hole for the Alpha shift cable. Here you go 39/64 drill bit ..6094 , 1/4 inch pipe coupling, 1/4 x 18 NPSF tap , Red Loc-Tite. With 1 hex machined off, the O.D of the sleeve is .619 leaving a .010 press fit. Once installed tap it thru if preferred but only a 5/8ths depth is needed for the shift cable threads If needed PM me if you want it done

harringtondav

Commander
Good to know Bt. Apparently I need another cup of coffee. I don't recall where this hole is located. Is it in an Alpha 1 or 2?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Works on all Alpha`s, the hole is where the shift cable screws into

harringtondav

Commander
Works on all Alpha`s, the hole is where the shift cable screws into

....sorry for being a pest. The only threaded connection I know is in the bell hsg with a brass pipe fitting on the aft end of the lower shift cable. Is this it?

I had a knock down, drag out with this fitting once. And the fitting almost won. I couldn't find a inch or metric socket that would fit. So I bought the split wall special socket. The fitting was so tight the socket opened at the split, and rounded the fitting flats. I cut the cable on both ends as close as possible and drilled it out the of bell hsg on my drill press.

This worked, but I was sweating. No space for a std pipe reduction bushing. I'll file your fix if it happens again. ...thinking propane heat on that fitting would have made it a non issue.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
not enough room for a helicoil either. The shift cable end is a 9/16 6 point socket and if you round it your left with drilling and retapping. This repair is for when the threads in the housing are gone.

jesse_boston

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Mine was super tight and rounded by a 9/16 also. Most sockets are too thick to fit between the fitting and the housing. Ended up using a thin wall 14mm 6 pt deep socket hammered onto it. I was sweating too. And the threads weren't in great shape either, a previous owner must have really messed it up. Fortunately there was enough left that the new one held.

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
problem is most people don't put thread sealant on the threads when they install. Thread sealant helps to protect the threads in addition to sealing. This should be a sticky. Could be a real cost saver!!!

cchamp

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had a ton of issues with mine as well. Rounded it off using the "special tool" then soaked in it PB blaster, used a heat gun to get it damn near glowing red, and hammered a smaller socket onto it. I came close to either not getting it out or ruining what was there. Scared me to death.

chs marine service

Petty Officer 3rd Class
the trick is to heat up the housing with torch in the area ofthe fitting , most times it just takes a bit of heatto loosen the threads. if not, by this point you have probably rounded the fitting with the thin piece of crap tool so ditch that and hammer on a 12pt 13MM socket, again head the area around the fitting. it should release . make sure you heat the housing,m not the fitting. heat makes metal expand. you do not want the fitting expanding.