Skeg repair for MC-1 (1972)

998cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all.
It has been awhile since I have posted here. The good thing is I have been enjoying my old 1972 Gulfstream ever since you all helped me bring it back from the dead in 2013 and 2014!

Well, I finally manage to damage the lower portion of my skeg. I am looking at these bolt on skeg repair devices and can't nail down which one I need for mine. My boat is registered as a 1972; however the closest skeg repair device I can find is for 1973 and later. The serial number on the outdrive is 3392031. Can anyone provide some insight here?

(I do have a tig welder but am not confident enough in my skills to weld aluminum alloys yet.)

Thank you! :)
Russ

Last edited:

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the skeg on my alpha drive welded by a pro. about $100 bucks. Totally worth it. Do you have the broken piece?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Too easy to weld up. Any welding shop can do it. Cheapest if you take the removed drive to them. Or even just the lower.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
last marina I had a skeg repaired at was next door to a restaurant. brought whole boat, went to lunch, when I was done with lunch, boat was done...

998cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got the skeg on my alpha drive welded by a pro. about $100 bucks. Totally worth it. Do you have the broken piece?

The skeg rolled up into a "J" and split, so the damaged portion is pretty much unusable. . My plan is to cut off the rolled portion and use the aftermarket device if I can figure out which one to order. From the responses here, it seems that this is not the preferred way to go? If welding is the only viable option, I may give it a try. I do okay tig welding steel, but so far, I tend to melt the aluminum being welded.... :facepalm: Too much heat....

Cheers!
~998cc