Raw water pump not sucking water

Galvez83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Folks i am reaching to see if there some opinions as to the problem that i am facing. 1993 Sea Ray Overnighter 24 ft with a 7.4 bravo 1. Recently i noticed no water from exhaust and inspected raw water pump and the impeller was shot. Proceeded to replace with new housing, o ring, bolts and impeller. It started sucking water fine. All of this was a week ago. Today i went to change the oil and to my surprise milky oil. Did the oil change and started the engine, lo and behold no water out of exhaust. After the impeller change the boat has not been to the just ran on muffs. The pressure in my house plenty. I tightened all the hose clams leading to raw water pump. I removed new impeller and its its fine. Now i am scratching my head and this is just the water pump...wait till i get to the milky oil. Any ideas guys and gals?

alldodge

Staff member
First the pump doesn't do much of any sucking, a little but not much, it just moves water once it reaches the impeller

Not enough info for me to understand full issue.

Was the drive full down when starting?
Was hose turned on full?
Was their leaking of water around muffs before starting and not so much after motor started?

Milky oil might be blown head gasket, but need more info

tpenfield

Staff member
Milky oil is probably a separate issue . . . head gasket or manifold/riser gasket.

since the previous sea water pump impeller was trashed, it sounds like you may not have gotten all of the impeller bits & pieces out of the cooling system.

Backflushing the cooling system from the thermostat housing back down to the sea water pump would be a good thing to do, Then figure out the milky oil thing.

Galvez83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Water was at full blast. I removed the hose leading to raw water pump and no water currently reacher the pump. I dug around and removed the old impeller parts after a backflush. I read that it could be the pick up tube from the bravo drive. I removed the hose that comes in from transom and put it in a bucket and it sucks it or moves it around fine as you see the water level in the bucket getting lower.

Galvez83

Petty Officer 1st Class
I guess i will have to remove outdrive to inspect and change if need be.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Folks i am reaching to see if there some opinions as to the problem that i am facing. 1993 Sea Ray Overnighter 24 ft with a 7.4 bravo 1. Recently i noticed no water from exhaust and inspected raw water pump and the impeller was shot. Proceeded to replace with new housing, o ring, bolts and impeller. It started sucking water fine. All of this was a week ago. Today i went to change the oil and to my surprise milky oil. Did the oil change and started the engine, lo and behold no water out of exhaust. After the impeller change the boat has not been to the just ran on muffs. The pressure in my house plenty. I tightened all the hose clams leading to raw water pump. I removed new impeller and its its fine. Now i am scratching my head and this is just the water pump...wait till i get to the milky oil. Any ideas guys and gals?

You may have delayed too long, blown gasket and melted shutters or damaged exhaust bellows. Clogged up y pipe causing water not to come out as it should be seen?

alldodge

Staff member

To check for Bravoits need to remove the fitting from inside the transom assembly. The fitting which connects to the hose to the pump

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

Do u have crank or belt driven pickup pump sucking via through-hull or through OD? You imply OD. Mine are crank pumps that suck water up via OD and I had to address so-called Bravo-itis. However, if pulling water via through hull, u may want to see if there are any obstructions. Do you have a sea strainer that may be clogged? I had MC inboards years ago that one strainer became clogged. Is motor closed cooled? It doesn't sound like it is. Backflush both input and output lines to isolate which lines are connected to the main problem. Good luck!

Galvez83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well update folks, Bravoitis its is!!! I removed the plastic part that the hose leading to belt driven raw water pump and tried to slip my finger in there and its closed shut. I have an endoscope camera and snaked it down there and it was confirmed. The boat is new to me so i am slowly cleaning up as i find things. Also the boat has a thru hull pick up with a ball valve that is not used. Question would it be better to just run a hose to the raw pump from thru hull or fix the hose from outdrive?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Well update folks, Bravoitis its is!!! I removed the plastic part that the hose leading to belt driven raw water pump and tried to slip my finger in there and its closed shut. I have an endoscope camera and snaked it down there and it was confirmed. The boat is new to me so i am slowly cleaning up as i find things. Also the boat has a thru hull pick up with a ball valve that is not used. Question would it be better to just run a hose to the raw pump from thru hull or fix the hose from outdrive?

Two water input options? That's something that I have never heard of but I learn something new everyday. Perhaps former owner got tired of Bravo-itis repairs and started on 2nd water input project but then sold boat? Good luck!

tpenfield

Staff member
You could certainly try the thru-hull water inlet and address the bravoitis another time.