Exhaust hose installation

Dkreines1

Recruit
The exhaust hose on my MerCruiser inboard motor failed and I am replacing it. There are two pieces of 3” hose with an elbow in betweenl and I had no problem installing the new hose pieces to the elbow and one end to the tea. The final step is connecting the 11 inch piece of hose to the exhaust manifold. Here I ran into a problem. I spent several hours trying to get the hose on to the end of the exhaust manifold, with no success. The hose is the hard rubber with wire reinforcement (the same as what was previously there). It is almost as though the outer diameter of the manifold fitting is larger than the inner diameter of the hose. Can anyone suggest a way to get this hose onto the manifold fitting? I am physically and mentally exhausted from this seemingly easy project! Thanks in advance.

Alumarine

Captain
Welcome, people that can help you will need to know at least what type of motor you are working.
Is it a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder. A serial number would help as well.
Are you sure the ID of the hose is the same as the old one?
Have you tried heating the hose in hot water?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
place in hot water, heat with heat gun, heat with infra-red gun

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi

if it is what I think you mean...it’s much easier to take the riser off, then with oil or washing up liquid, put the end in with the riser at 90 degrees from its usual position. Once it’s in, rotate that riser back the way it should be and seat it back onto the manifold...evenly tighten bolts a bit at a time. They snap easily.

That’s certainly how I do it on V engines at least.

Dkreines1

Recruit
Thanks for the replies. I did try heating the hose with a hair dryer without success, so it may be time to step up the amount of heat. The hose is the very rigid wire-reinforced wet exhaust hose, 3" , so it has virtually no give. It fits over thefiberglass elbow (barely) but the end of the manifold/riser seems to be slightly larger - maybe 1/16 bigger and just won't fit. I guess I'll try a torch next!