Best tools for working on sterndrives

personalt

Cadet
I have been building out my Milwaukee M12 toolset. This is Milwaukee's 12 volt line of tools. I was thinking about getting either a 3/8" Impact Gun or a 3/8" electric ratchet. Are any of these useful for working on Merc engines.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Personally, I wouldn't let an impact gun anywhere near a drive. And due to everything being screwed into aluminium, hand operated tools only is the best policy.

Chris....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the best tools to work on drives are the factory manual, a full assortment of sealants (at a minimum, permatex #1, #2, #3, red loc-tite, blue loc-tite), a hand impact, a variety of torque wrenches, a variety of small picks, a digital scale (for setting running torque), a hydraulic press, an alignment tool, a drive stand, a glass bead-blast cabinet and a paint cabinet.

Never ever needed a pneumatic or electric burp gun. for the reasons that Chris mentions

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... The 3/8" ratchet might be handy for a few things,......

As Chris said, the impact gun could ruin some expensive parts if not used right,....

personalt

Cadet
the best tools to work on drives are the factory manual, a full assortment of sealants (at a minimum, permatex #1, #2, #3, red loc-tite, blue loc-tite), a hand impact, a variety of torque wrenches, a variety of small picks, a digital scale (for setting running torque), a hydraulic press, an alignment tool, a drive stand, a glass bead-blast cabinet and a paint cabinet.

Never ever needed a pneumatic or electric burp gun. for the reasons that Chris mentions

Thanks. super helpful, I have most of this stuff except bead blast cabinet. Is the refinishing of stern drive that often of an occurrence that this is worthwhile.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That was a good question and you got good response.

All I know is I don't need air or electric tools to destroy threads in aluminum. A box end or socket does a fine job :facepalm:

But I can often feel when it isn't going to work when tearing something apart..................Sometimes.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks. super helpful, I have most of this stuff except bead blast cabinet. Is the refinishing of stern drive that often of an occurrence that this is worthwhile.

the issue with outdrives is owners neglect them. a neglected out drive will have corrosion damage. part of any service work on anything requires the ability to remove corrosion.

I will give you a hint. aluminum and stainless together within the presence of an electrolyte is a battery. Galvanic corrosion is inevitable.

tpenfield

Staff member
I guess it depends on what you consider "working on sterndrives" . . . If it is taking them off for some typical maintenance, then a 3/8" socket set with regular and deep sockets, along with some extension shafts will do the trick. You may also want to have a 1/4" set of similar variety for some of the smaller/hard to reach stuff.

If you mean sterndrive casing disassembly/repair/overhaul, etc. then you will want a 1/2" drive set with 'breaker bar' drives. No sense in getting impact tools, because they will do more harm than good. Also most of the gear cases are opened by special tools, not regular bolts/nuts. The special tools often will have a opening for the 1/2" drive breaker bar. Torque specs are as high as 200 ft-lbs. on some of the casing/bearing carrier components.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
the issue with outdrives is owners neglect them. a neglected out drive will have corrosion damage. part of any service work on anything requires the ability to remove corrosion.

I will give you a hint. aluminum and stainless together within the presence of an electrolyte (seawater) is a battery. Galvanic corrosion is inevitable.

Hence, anodes. :) (also an often neglected maintenance item.)

Last edited:

kenny nunez

Captain
2 other items come to mind that you need, a 1” outside micrometer to measure the shims that you need to keep track of and patience.