Mercruiser 3.7 litre no start and getting mist being pushed out from carb

paulcierra26

Cadet
My 470 won't start.

I too have the have the 470 , all the cylinders rea a even 170 across all four. My problem is it won’t start . It seems like the fuel is not getting to the cyclinders even where I pour gas right down the carburetor . It started looking like mist coming UP through the carb . i pulled the carb off and there was a pool of gasoline sitting on the inside of the intake manifold. Soaked it all up and put he carb back on . Still will not fire , even tried engine strat down carb and no go. Checked spark and it wa there , looked weak though. Put 12 volts to coil + side and got big spark but still would not fire. Plugs were always dry when I pulled them . The only way I got it to fire was to put gas in each cylinder, would get a few fires but then nothing. I don’t know what is wrong

paulcierra26

Cadet
I am really stuck , I bought a NON running boat with the 3.7 litre motor . It has lots of upgrades like the 4 inch exchanger, alternator and the pointless ignition

I checked compression and got 165 to 170 on all cycylinders , checked spark and it was weak looking , noticed that I only had about 6vdc at + lead of coil , put 12 V2c to it and spark improved significantly.

Motor or turns over fine but will not fire, removed distributing cap and valve cover and timing looks right although I was surprised that distributor turns counter clockwise Firing order going clockwise is 1,3,4 & 2 I am told

I could see gas in the carb and I even poured some down the carb but nothing , the weird part was when I pulled plugs they were dry and I pulled carb and there was a bug puddle of gas just sitting inside the manifold I soaked that all up with rag installed carb back on and still no fire
I even tried starting g fluid
The only way I can get it to fire is to put gas directly in eCh spark plug hole
It’s like there is no draw for the fuel , it even looks like mist is coming out the carb after a while of cranking but yet plugs always dry . I just can’t figure this one out . I would have thought with no fuel draw that motor was sacked out but compression is so good and I checked it repeatedly
​​​

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Mod Comment - Combined your threads and changed thread title slightly.

paulcierra26

Cadet
Got it figures out
the new starter I put in was a counter clock wise starter so it was turning my motor over backwards
I new something was wrong when I sprayed starting fluid in the exhaust and it started , I never knew you could get a ccw
starter

Thx