8.2 fresh water cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

larson260

Seaman
Can someone direct me to a cooling water diagram for the 8.0 cat engine. I'm trying to figure out if Mercruiser's newer unit is a full or half system.

alldodge

Staff member
This is a 4.3 but should be the same and all CAT motors are full systems

EC cat Closed Cooling.jpg

larson260

Seaman
Thanks AllDodge. Are all new Volvo Penta engines set up with raw water cooled exhaust manifolds.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
V-P? You're asking about Mercruisers in the first post.

AD - That appears to be a V8.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
VP systems are completely different plumbing than a Mercruiser. VP doesnt do 8.2s, their last BBC was the 8.1. Then they went LS 6.2

larson260

Seaman
I will post it in V.P. forum. I'm trying to figure what my best option would be in my next cat stern drive other than having a large, expensive monster hanging off the stern of my boat when I back into a docking space for a weekend. Gang planks are not safe.

alldodge

Staff member
AD - That appears to be a V8.

Yep, appears so

trying to figure what my best option would be in my next cat stern drive

Your boat, but I wouldn't own a boat that requires CAT's, just way to much trouble. If this is a project boat you don't have to use CAT's, can install non-CAT and be legal

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Well I’d price out what it could cost to replace the cat converter exhaust if you are in salt water; Volvo parts could reach $6000 both sides and Merc $4500-$5000; in fresh water you may never need to replace any of it. Personally I’d never have one here (salt water 100%), if I really wanted another sterndrive boat I’d get the last year where cats were not required. Not ever going to get a boat where replacing the exhaust once costs as much as a new base GM Marine engine!

instead of a large expensive monster hanging off the boat (outboard) you will have a large expensive monster inside the boat (cat exhaust)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If in freshwater I can understand not wanting outboards but in salt that is the way to go. Been doing this I/O maintenance a long time and don’t really want that again for my next boat.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
This is a 4.3 but should be the same and all CAT motors are full systems

Not all MerCruiser cat motors are close cooled and not all MerCruiser close cooled motors are a full system. Depends on the model. When raw water goes thru the exhaust manifolds MerCruiser uses poppet valves to control temp.

alldodge

Staff member
Not all MerCruiser cat motors are close cooled and not all MerCruiser close cooled motors are a full system. Depends on the model. When raw water goes thru the exhaust manifolds MerCruiser uses poppet valves to control temp.

Happen to have a open cooled diagram?

Status
Not open for further replies.