Building 383 Stroker with aluminum heads, I want aluminum intake.

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
What’s a good part number for aluminum intake manifold? Is there really a marine intake. The heads require 12 bolts. I see several that look just like the cast iron marine manifold I currently have. Currently looking at Edelbrock 2040

scoflaw

Ensign
assuming closed cooled or a fresh water boat. Not sure what other work you've had done but the "air gaps" are getting good reviews

alldodge

Staff member
What heads?

Assuming open cooled marine and if so the 2506, the 2040 is for rectangular port head and closed cool

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cylinder Heads: ATK/Pro-FilerAluminum 70cc/195cc 2.02/1.60

alldodge

Staff member
Looks like the 2506 is the one, and should be closed cooling. If your in fresh water the 2040 will work, but will last longer with closed cooling.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with aluminum heads you need to run a heat exchanger. No way around it

yes there are aluminum intakes with bronze water passages for marine applications, however with aluminum heads, no need to worry as you need to run a heat exchanger

yes, the Edelbrock Air Gap is my preferred intake

yes, Edelbrock is cast at Barr foundry, same as VP intakes and PCM intakes

what advantage other than weight savings are you looking for with the aluminum heads?

NHGuy

Captain
May I butt in here? Aluminum heads dissipate heat better and can take more timing and thereby give more power.
Says the jealous guy with a set of iron heads. (at least they are good iron heads-Dart)