Starter support bracket...

Mtl-Diesel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey folks. Got a 1984 Mercruiser 140 and have discovered that I am missing the support bracket (p/n 87300T) that holds the starter. As a result I have one broken started bolt and expect the other to let go anytime. I want to re-install it. No idea why the previous owner took it off. I have the original style starter = heavy & big.

I can't find anyone who has one, new or used, seems to be discontinued. Much less that will ship to Canada.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
buy a PMGR starter and you no longer need the bracket, you loose about 20# from the boat, your motor starts easier

or take a piece of 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8" angle iron about 6" long ( 20mmx20mmx3mm - 150mm long )and make the bracket. it picks up the two motor studs and goes up to a boss on the motor

Mtl-Diesel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
buy a PMGR starter and you no longer need the bracket, you loose about 20# from the boat, your motor starts easier

or take a piece of 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8" angle iron about 6" long ( 20mmx20mmx3mm - 150mm long )and make the bracket. it picks up the two motor studs and goes up to a boss on the motor

Interesting. I had a quick look at PMGR. How do I know which one is compatible with mine? My engine s/n 6777639.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Look for ----Kings propeller -----Boat shop in Ontario with lots of used parts.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
there are two GM starters for Chevrolet motors. one for the 153 tooth flywheel, one for the 168 tooth flywheel

kenny nunez

Captain
If your old starter has the straight bolt pattern and not the staggered later style you have the 153 count flywheel, that is If your engine is the original 1984 model. As already suggested try to get the PMGD style starter and add the support bracket.
If my memory is correct there were 3 cast brackets for the in line engines. One version utilized a 5/16” stud in the field frame and had a stud that mounted it to the block, the other 2 mounted over the extended stud of the upper field frame bolt then to the block. Since the 140s vibrate more than the 120 & 165 it is real common to have a starter bolt break if either of the afore mentioned brackets are missing. Just for kicks if anyone has a 140 early style and there is no bracket put your hand on the starter while the engine is idling. As the armature bushings wear the weight of the armature vibrating probably has something to do with the bolts breaking.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
make it simpler...... if you have a straight pattern, buy a straight pattern starter. if you have a staggered pattern starter, buy a staggered pattern starter.

the PMGR does not use the support bracket

Alumarine

Captain
There's a mercruiser service bulletin regarding the PMGR starters that recommends installing a support bracket for the 4 cylinder GM motors.

The part number is 807213A1 or 807213T

"At certain engine RPM’s, the end of the Delco PG200 or PG260 starter motors can be subjected
to a harmonic vibration. If the customer runs their engine for long periods at this RPM, the starter
motor attaching bolts can break. Sometimes, the mounting pads on the starter motor drive housing
either are broken off or cracked."

Mtl-Diesel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys. I'm finally getting around to addressing this starter issue. Looking to order a new one from DB Electrical. I believe what I need is part number [h=1]SDR0272[/h] or

SDR0029

One has 9 teeth and the other has 11 teeth but claims to replace the 9 tooth model? I am confused.

BTW..almost got the broken bolt out of the block!

fishrdan

Admiral
I put a DB electric PM starter on my 73' 140 HP over 10 years ago and it's still going strong. I also made a bracket out of a piece of (1 1/2" or 1 1/4"?) aluminum angle, to anchor the end of the starter to the engine block.

I'm not a fan of cheap Chinese junk, but tried the DB starter due to price. $50 vs $150-200.....

Alumarine

Captain
Hey guys. I'm finally getting around to addressing this starter issue. Looking to order a new one from DB Electrical. I believe what I need is part number [h=1]SDR0272[/h] or

SDR0029

One has 9 teeth and the other has 11 teeth but claims to replace the 9 tooth model? I am confused.

BTW..almost got the broken bolt out of the block!

The SDR0272 is a PMGR and is what I used on my 1980 3.0 it's 9 tooth.
I believe the SDR0029 is an older style non PMGR and it's 9 tooth as well.

Mtl-Diesel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The SDR0272 is a PMGR and is what I used on my 1980 3.0 it's 9 tooth.
I believe the SDR0029 is an older style non PMGR and it's 9 tooth as well.

Awesome! That's the one I will order as well. Now to get that damn broken bolt out. It's got me standing on my head! It's the short one. Broken about a 1/4" in from flush. I can't tell you how many broken drill bits I've gone through!

fishrdan

Admiral
It may be far easier to remove the engine, then flip the engine to deal with the broken starter bolt. If there is 1/4" sticking out of the block, slap a nut onto the bolt nub, then weld the nut onto the bolt. Broken bolt should spin out easy-cheesy.

Removing the broken bolt in the bilge is going to be a huge hassle, but if I had to do it, I'd use left-handed drill bits in a 90* drill. The bolt may just spin out when the left handed drill bit grabs....

Mtl-Diesel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It may be far easier to remove the engine, then flip the engine to deal with the broken starter bolt. If there is 1/4" sticking out of the block, slap a nut onto the bolt nub, then weld the nut onto the bolt. Broken bolt should spin out easy-cheesy.

Removing the broken bolt in the bilge is going to be a huge hassle, but if I had to do it, I'd use left-handed drill bits in a 90* drill. The bolt may just spin out when the left handed drill bit grabs....

Unfortunately it broke 1/4" below the surface. Nothing to grab. Been trying left-handed bits but unfortunately still not moving. Previous owner must have had a similar issue and actually drilled down from the top. Even through there I am unable to get the damn thing to move. As soon as I can get the hole big enough from the bottom, I'll try to stick an easyout in in hopes it grabs onto it. Finding all kinds of muscles I never knew I had! ouch!!!!!