Draining Fuel

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 194/204FS fitted with a Merc 4.3 MPI Need to drain off the fuel from the tank .... tried for ages with a siphon pipe - no joy, assume must be some form of anti-siphon device fitted. Is there somewhere on the engine that allows me to easily drain fuel .... using the fuel pump on the engine? I did look at removing fuel pipe to separator filter ... but it's well and truly stuck onto the brass male fitting .... and don't really want to cut it off..

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
There is an anti-siphoning valve where the fuel line connects to the tank.

The easiest work around is to remove the fuel level sending unit and siphon thru the opening

alldodge

Staff member
Agree fuel sender is easiest way to get a hose in the tank

Can also remove the barbed fitting (antisiphon valve) from the tank and install a straight brass barbed fitting in its place. Then connect hose to that fitting and pump it out

scoflaw

Ensign
Agree fuel sender is easiest way to get a hose in the tank

Can also remove the barbed fitting (antisiphon valve) from the tank and install a straight brass barbed fitting in its place. Then connect hose to that fitting and pump it out

If you went this route, it should just syphon out.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I just get an electric fuel pump from the local parts store, hook it to the line and pump away. Easy peasy.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Pump it out the fuel gauge sender tafflad. Might involve lifting the floor or taking a panel off, but once you’re there. Easy done.
since you are over here in U.K. like me...there is a great wee 12v oil pump going just now in Lidl. Good for this and oil changes what boat is it again