Carburetor question

JamesD546

Recruit
I'm trying to bring a 1989 Galixie of California back from the dead. Not thinking, I bought a Summit Racing carburetor that had excellent reviews .My question is will it work on the 5.7L mercruiser if it's not a "marine" carburetor?

And what's the difference between marine and non- marine carbs?

Chris51280

Ensign
It is not USCG approved. If your boat goes poof because of fuel vapors and/or someone gets hurt, you are liable. No insurance coverage. Marine carbs have some piping that is different than car carbs that prevent fuel from spilling over. In cars, thats not a big deal since it will spill on the ground. In boats, it spills in the bilge where fuel vapors will stay which will go poof.
The same is valid for the starter, distributor, alternator. They are marine specific and if you do not have them in case of a problem where insurance is involved, no coverage and you are liable.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agreed send that one back. There is no way you should use an auto carb on a boat. Boat carbs have different throttle shaft bushings, J tubes to direct fuel into the venturis if the carb floods and an overflow hose to direct gas into the carb if the diaphragm on the mechanical fuel pump fails. They are also jetted different, usually much richer due to the sustained heavy load of marine use.

You got a 5.7 Mercruiser, you should be using an Edelbrock Marine 4bbl 1409 carb if you have a 4bbl intake manifold. The original carb was probably a Rochester Quadrajet if it had a 4bbl. Great carb but hard to find good ones now. If your original carb is not corroded inside why not have it rebuilt?