3 litre to 4.3 swap.. Mercruiser

Dennis197SD

Seaman
Ultimately my boat is garage kept and almost mint condition so Im not sure I want a bunch of parts on it that I don't know anything about, but at the same time I also want everything needed to get the most out of this swap

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Here's the Mercruiser installation drawings page. You can do your comparison from motor to motor. Like everyone else, I had never seen a side mount inline engine. Just thought you were crazy, or going crazy :D

Pretty much you will want to swap everything. Most V6s have power steering. Most 3 Liter motors do not. So virtually everything motor and drive should come from the donor boat. You may not need to swap steering wheel and cable, won't know until you compare attachment of cable to power steering actuator. You also may not need to swap out transom plate and gimbal housing if both drives are Gen 2. I went from Alpha 1 to Alpha 1 Gen 2 so everything including gimbal housing got swapped. The transom plate - the inner plat which the rear motor mounts hook to, is the same even between Gen 2 and Alpha 1.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Ultimately my boat is garage kept and almost mint condition so Im not sure I want a bunch of parts on it that I don't know anything about, but at the same time I also want everything needed to get the most out of this swap

Note: You WANT the stock V6 setup, in its entirety, by the book, so parts and maintenance is easy. I agree with you there! No morphodite bastard setup. Make it all by the year V6 you get as a donor.

Dennis197SD

Seaman
Thanks for all the information.... The more the better for me. If i decide to get the donor and go ahead with this i will keep in you guys updated.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
BTW, one of the coolest parts of getting a V6 is getting the power steering. No more hanging onto the wheel all the time. With the 3.0L your steering only stays centered at one power setting, with power steering it is pretty much hands off. Love that.

Dennis197SD

Seaman
That sounds good. I won't miss having to strongarm the wheel trying to straighten out after a turn.

Dennis197SD

Seaman
After looking at the drawings it looks like the distance on the motor mounts from the 3.0 to the 4.3 are exactly the same. 11 1/4 from center.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you want to swap everything from pulleys to prop.

your 3.0 drive is geared different than the 4.3

as far as the mounts lining up..... run out and buy a lottery ticket....seriously..... you are most likely the luckiest iBoats member there is..... go out and buy a lottery ticket.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
you want to swap everything from pulleys to prop.

your 3.0 drive is geared different than the 4.3

as far as the mounts lining up..... run out and buy a lottery ticket....seriously..... you are most likely the luckiest iBoats member there is..... go out and buy a lottery ticket.

If'n I was a boat manufacturer, all my smaller boat models would come with the same couple options: entry level 3.0L and 4.3L V6 for the step up. If I was to ask Mercruiser for one thing for christmas it would be same mounting structure so I could make the same d*&n boat for both.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Rick.....that would be common sense..... Only if you hog-tied the accountants and tossed them into a closet.

However it could have only happened with baylinner as both baylinner and mercruiser are owned by Brunswick. My guess its an option only available to Brunswick boats

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I must say, I too, am Amazed by the pictures,...... Never seen such athing,......

I notice they use the anti-vibration lower mounts, like the old V-6s, before the balance shaft,.....

'n this is in a Bayliner,..??..??..??..??..?? I'm more than Amazed,......

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I think having the hull /stringer design the same for all power plants offered is more common now. I swaped a 4.3 for a 5.0 in a boat originally offered with both options. Engine stringers were about 14" long to accommodate both engines, I only had to fill the 4.3 lag screw holes an drew drill new ones for the 5.0. I've seen pics of both merc and VP 3.0 s with the side mounts like that, I assume to accommodate one hull design

Dennis197SD

Seaman
Ayuh,..... I must say, I too, am Amazed by the pictures,...... Never seen such athing,......

I notice they use the anti-vibration lower mounts, like the old V-6s, before the balance shaft,.....

'n this is in a Bayliner,..??..??..??..??..?? I'm more than Amazed,......

Yep 2006 Bayliner 197 SD

Attachments

• photo318969.jpg
    photo318969.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0