Choice of Fuel Pump brand merc 862077A 1 replacement

joe_nj

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had the 2 bbl mercruiser carburetor on my 1987 4.3L mercruiser with 380 hours rebuilt and the rebuilder said it had a lot of corrosion and I need to replace or clean everything upstream. I need to replace the Carter mechanical fuel pump (Merc
862077A 1)
fuel lines, and somehow clean the tank.

So far, I have found a Mercury Marine pump for $184, a Quiksilver for $ 170. , a Sierra for $ 193 on the iboats site, and an RPS (whatever that is) for $59, among other knockoffs.
I don't know why the Sierra on iboats is priced higher than the Merc/Quiksilvers.

I'm inclined to take the safe route and go with the Mercury Marine.

The RPS is tempting though. I could replace that 3 times before getting to the price of the Mercury Marine. However, I don't know how it would perform.
There's one listing for Sierra for $ 93 with 2 bad reviews - but it's not clear that it was really a sierra as they came in unmarked boxes.

Anyone have experience with the RPS pump?

Then I have to figure out how to clean the tank. Haven't searched that yet on the forum.

Alumarine

Captain
I can't comment on the difference in the pumps but it's very straightforward to dismantle yours to check for any issues.
Just have to be gentle with the diaphragm.

joe_nj

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks. That's an idea. I should take it apart and see what's going on.

It's corroded on the outside and probably on the inside. I'll have research how to clean the corrosion. Maybe there's something in the forum.

alldodge

Staff member
I would stick with Merc, and iboats states they will match price

Unless you want to switch to electric

joe_nj

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't realize that iboats matches prices. I will keep that in mind for the next project. I couldn't resist a SIerra for $93 at West Marine. (price matched to Amazon.)

Now, I need to clean the gas tank. I've got it disconnected but to get it out, I need to remove the crankcase pulley because it's in the way of lifting out the tank due to a flange on the tank.. I see 4 bolts on the pulley - one in the center surrounded by three others - like all 4.3L engines I suppose.

My Mercruiser shop manual doesn't give any instruction for removing the pulley - except to say remove the belts and remove the pulley. It appears that I need to remove all 4 bolts. The manual does not give me torque values for reinstalling.

Anyone have any tips for the removal or a source for torque values?

I need to clean the hoses to remove any corrosion. It appears that the manufacturer put some sealer on the hoses when connecting them to the tank inlets and outlets. Any suggestions for what to use on those hoses to aluminum connections? I used Loctite 592 on the fuel pump threads as recommended by the Mercruiser manual. Not sure if that works on fuel hose to aluminum gas tanks.

alldodge

Staff member
If hoses are in good shape I would use no sealer on fuel lines. So far as aluminum fittings, pipe dope or other works for me

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would buy carter thru napa and avoid the mercruiser markup.