Alpha one shifting problem

I have an 84 Four Winns with a Alpha One and a Chevy 305. While on the water the other day, it would shift into forward later during the forward travel of the gear shift than usual. Like it would finally go into gear when the engine speed started to increase and would slam into gear. I've watched several youtube videos on how to check adjustment but the set up on my boat looks a little different. The barrel nut on the lower cable won't turn and what looks like pin on the side (see picture) maybe is holding it in place. Anyone familiar with this set up or can point me to some online manuals?

Attachments

• photo316367.jpg
    photo316367.jpg
    807.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo316368.jpg
    photo316368.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Thats another engineers wet dream ,pinning the adjustment. You can obtain another sleeve without the depression so you can make adjustments , have some I can mail to you .If there are no other shift cable issues you can :

Another option is to remove the nut on the upper cable and slide it off the stud, push the other cable all the way in until the prop locks CCW. this is full Fwd. shift control box in full fwd, full throttle and adjust black plastic barrel accordingly

Thank you for the input. I would imagine since it the original cable, it's due for replacement. I would prefer to get by, if I can, for the reminder of the summer with the old cable and then replace it and my trim switches during the winter. What do you think about this: I used my Dremel and with cut off wheel and ground down where they pinned it. That freed it up so I can now turn it. The only thing I worry about now is strength and if I've weakened the barrel too much.

Attachments

• photo316382.jpg
    photo316382.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 0

Dazzed

Cadet
I had the same setup, just replaced the lower shift cable. They are only $90 and it takes about an hour to do. Check out this video. https://youtu.be/PZN-HHuIDPI. After replacement, it still wouldn't shift into reverse properly. What I ended up doing was squeezing the shaft assembly shoe/ boot whatchamacallit closed as it had been bent open. Shifts like a dream now.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
backyard mechanics at its best, nothing to worry about ,still plenty of thread left to grab