Mercruiser 3.o stern drive water hose leak

goingup

Cadet
I have a 1989 Searay 20' bowrider with a mercruiser 3.0.
I am getting a lot of water in the bilge. After some investigation there seems to be a leak in the water hose where it connects to the stern drive. I can see the water leaking above the exhaust bellows when I have it hooked up to the hose in the yard.
Is there an easy fix for this or do you have to take the bellhousing off?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
You can get to it from the inside. It may be a tight spot, but is do-able.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
a water leak outside the boat will not let water inside the boat.. You may have another type of leak .Does water enter on land or only in the water?

goingup

Cadet
Only in the water. When on land on the hose there is no water coming into the boat

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Only in the water. When on land on the hose there is no water coming into the boat

Then it's not the water inlet hose....

Pull the drive, check the uni bellows, and the shift cable bellows...

goingup

Cadet
Thanks for the help guys. I found the leak last night. One of the bolts that bolt the bellhousing to the transom was loose.
It was interesting. When the boat was floating flat in the water there was no water coming into the boat. But when I was launching the boat water would leak in because the bottom of the bellhousing was slighting pulling away from the boat. I am guess the same thing was happening when the boat was in reverse.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the help guys. I found the leak last night. One of the bolts that bolt the bellhousing to the transom was loose.
It was interesting. When the boat was floating flat in the water there was no water coming into the boat. But when I was launching the boat water would leak in because the bottom of the bellhousing was slighting pulling away from the boat. I am guess the same thing was happening when the boat was in reverse.

Well to me, that raises the question, is the transom soft? The transom should not flex to the point of causing the leak inside. Loose bolt or not.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

your transom is soft if there is any flex being a 30 year old boat, almost guaranteed it needs a transom.