Alpha 1 Gen 1 - shift cable retaining nut: How to remove w/out cable spinning

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know this is probably a dumb question, but I've gotten my shift cable retaining nut to start to move (come off). The problem is that the shift cable is moving with the nut as I turn it counter clockwise. Is it as simple as holding the shift cable still?

I am using a homemade 9/16" shift cable nut removal tool (with an extension tacked on). I'm not using the Sierra or Mercruiser tool

shift cable retaining nut.jpg

Attachments

• shift cable retaining nut.jpg
    shift cable retaining nut.jpg
    885.6 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... The cable turns with the nut,.....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Disconnect the cable from the shift plate
lay is a straight line
turn nut and cable at the same time, nut is crimped to the cable sheath
once free, pull to the rear

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
41qQu4WQPkL.jpg

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lol thanks for the replies. So in order to replace the shift cable bellows, the entire cable needs to come out correct? If it does, so be it. I've never believed in "short cutting" jobs.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yup, cable gas to come out. It's a good time to replace the cable itself, as if they get stiff, you will have shifting issues.

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Grub - and I am going to replace the u-joint bellows as well. If I'm going to open it up...may as well.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Make sure you get the new cable in place before pulling the old one so that you can route it easier through the engine bay

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Make sure you get the new cable in place before pulling the old one so that you can route it easier through the engine bay

I tie a string to the old cable before removing. Pull cable, attach string to new cable, and it follows the same route going back in.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I use a core from a control cable , can never break, Just insert thru the old shift cable until it comes out the back.
Pull enough to insert into the new cable and vise grip the core end, Some one pushes and someone pulls

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the tips - I'm trying to follow the above on how to route the new lower shift cable. I have an old wire core. I follow what you all are saying...somewhat. So:

1. I route the old wire core through the old cable sheath from inside the boat.
2. I pull out the old cable sheath.
3. I attach the new cable sheath to the old wire core and route back into the boat/transom.

How do you attach the new cable sheath to the old wire core?

cable boat.jpg

Attachments

• cable boat.jpg
    cable boat.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
pass enough of the core thru the new cable until it comes out the end with the white sleeve, vise grip the core. someone pulls the core from inside and someone pushes the cable sheath thru the shift bellow and pushes from the outside
click to enlarge

Last edited:

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks BT Doctor, and it makes sense now Lol. BTW - the spare wire I have is the old lower shift cable wire. I don't "think" this is going to be long enough. Will it? I'm sure it has to be long enough to have enough sticking through the inside boat side of transom and enough to go through ALL the new shealth on the outside. Don't think a lower shift cable wire will do it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Not going to be long enough to exit the gimbal and go thru the new cable sheath and exit the end to visegrip it.
Like I said, control cable core from any shop, there free
Using the pic in post one the core must exit the tube and be long enough to go thru the new cable sheath .
Then unscrew the old cable and remove it leaving the core as a guide.
Slide the core thru the new cable sheath and visegrip the end.1 pulls, 1 pushes