Impeller

Boomoo

Seaman
Impeller I just bought it 89 with 260 horse V 8 merCruiser it gets real hot and steamy I remove the thermostat and the temperature come back down to about 140 but my question is when I put the muff on the out drive and I start the boat , water does go to the motor but the water doesn’t seem to be sucking into the motor but I remove the hose from the thermostat housing and water is coming out but like an impulse it’s not steady I wish I could explain this a little better, Does have through the hull exhaust .

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Impeller I just bought it 89 with 260 horse V 8 merCruiser it gets real hot and steamy I remove the thermostat and the temperature come back down to about 140 but my question is when I put the muff on the out drive and I start the boat , water does go to the motor but the water doesn’t seem to be sucking into the motor but I remove the hose from the thermostat housing and water is coming out but like an impulse it’s not steady I wish I could explain this a little better, Does have through the hull exhaust .

Really wish you'd use some full stops and capital letters.... :facepalm:

Let's try that again....

Impeller I just bought it, 89 with 260 horse V8 MerCruiser it. Gets real hot and steamy. I remove the thermostat and the temperature come back down to about 140, but my question is when I put the muff on the out drive and I start the boat, water does go to the motor, but the water doesn’t seem to be sucking into the motor. If I remove the hose from the thermostat housing and water is coming out but like an impulse, it’s not steady. I wish I could explain this a little better. Does have through the hull exhaust.

Ok, that's making a bit more sense....

Very first thing you do when you buy a second-hand boat, A FULL service. That's engine service with all new plugs, plug leads, cap and rotor. Oil and fuel filter, and oil change. Full tune. AND a full drive service. Split the drive and replace the impeller and pump housing. I also like to replace the base too. Check and grease the unis and the gimbal bearing and check the bellows (if these are questionable, replace them). Then bolt is all up and see how it is.

Chasing cooling problems without doing the impeller first is a fool's errand... Whenever there's a cooling problem, the very first thing to look at is the impeller...

And when you're posting here, engine and drive serial numbers go a long way to getting better and faster help... ;)

Chris..........

Last edited:

Boomoo

Seaman
The impeller was bad , replaced that , then I found out the thermostat was in upside down , fix that and now no problems at all , except I guess they left out the little stainless washer for the shifting rod lol,