Water in engine from sitting

jakep1

Cadet
Hi, I have a 1980 Glastron with a Chevy 350 engine and mercruiser mc-1 outdrive. Boat has been stored for 4 years and ran just fine before storage. Did not have any water in engine at the time of storage. The cover blew off after 4 years and rain got into the boat. I have changed the oil, but there is still a bit of moisture on the inside of the engine. The engine does run great after 4 years. I’ve only ran it in short intervals.

So so is there a trick to rid leftover moisture in an engine without introducing rust?

Couple thoughts:
1. Dehumidifier on the inside
2. Force air through the engine with a blower to evaporate the moisture(will this risk increasing rust fast?)

Bondo

Staff member
So so is there a trick to rid leftover moisture in an engine without introducing rust?

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... Run it,..... At operatin' temps any left over water will simply steam off,....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
4 years of sitting... Likely the manifold and/or elbows have rusted through.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
4 years of sitting... Likely the manifold and/or elbows have rusted through.

I can't see how.... they are sitting dry the whole time. Obviously the motor was winterized and over time would have dried completely. I would expect a bit of scale in the bottoms of the water jackets from the bit of pooled water left behind after draining, but the manis will have been pretty much empty.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... More likely rain down the carb,....