Alpha Drive Lower End Gears Backwards

Mr. Bunz

Cadet
I purchased a boat and was told everything was good and recently serviced. I removed to stern drive because the boat wasn't shifting into gear. I checked all linkage and cables and everything seems good. After inspecting the lower unit it seems that the shifting is backwards. Reverse is at 12:00 and forward is at 10:00 which is backwards from everything I've read. Is this a possibility.

Bondo

Staff member
Is this a possibility.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,....... in forward, the prop shaft turns clockwise, normally,.....

Counter-rotatin' Alphas are rarer than hen's teeth, but I guess it's possible you've got 1,.....

What year is it,..??
How about the drive's serial number,..??
Which motor is ahead of it,..??

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
With the prop shaft locked turning it CCW with the shift rod facing in a straight line is forward With the shaft in the 10:00 position the prop shaft locks CW .No matter what lower the drive should shift into gear, either F or R but in a gear
need some pic , you may even have the wrong prop on it making ot more confusing

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
bought from a dealer? Guessing they quickly got it ready to go, and grabbed whatever prop was laying around the shop. They happened to grab a reverse rotation prop and tossed it on, without bothering to actually look.

JerryIrons

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm guessing not from a dealer, otherwise he would be right back there getting this resolved since "everything was good and recently serviced"

Mr Bunz you should show a pic of the prop and the info that bondo mentioned