mercruiser 4.3L bellows relacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merccoper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
DO NOT!

Use the alignment tool without the adapter and you WILL damage the bearing, again.

Chris.......

Lol. I just ordered that exact one! (But it will be a long trip to make it to Canada!)

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Won't work. The driver has a boss in the middle (for holding the seal). That will contact the centre of the gimbal bearing before the other touches the carrier. Look at my video again....

Chris...........

Merccoper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Won't work. The driver has a boss in the middle (for holding the seal). That will contact the centre of the gimbal bearing before the other touches the carrier. Look at my video again....

Chris...........

Just a clarification on your note Chris, you mean in reference to Kulle’s question about the item he found on eBay?

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lol. I just ordered that exact one! (But it will be a long trip to make it to Canada!)

I reached out to the seller before i bought to confirm it was the proper diameter and they told me it was smaller, therefore the pressure would be on the middle part of the bearing ( which isnt good) . I need something like 3.5 inches with the center recessed a bit...still searching..

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class

Obviously I wouldnt need to use the center boss? pin since i am replacing the bearing as a whole correct? Whats the link to your video you refer to, I was looking and cant find it- must be dumb today

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Obviously I wouldnt need to use the center boss? pin since i am replacing the bearing as a whole correct? Whats the link to your video you refer to, I was looking and cant find it- must be dumb today

I found the video and yes I need that bearing driver! Where can I get one that someone isnt going to try and rip me off!

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Chris, I see some install drivers being advertised as needing to use the screw and drill a hole in the alignment bar. The one in your video didnt seem to have that. What is the differences- is the one with the need to drill a larger inner diameter?

Merccoper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I reached out to the seller before i bought to confirm it was the proper diameter and they told me it was smaller, therefore the pressure would be on the middle part of the bearing ( which isnt good) . I need something like 3.5 inches with the center recessed a bit...still searching..

I just received mine and it only has the Seal installer and not the Bearing installer. It too was advertised as both seal and bearing installer. If you do find a work around, please let me know. I’ll start my search now too!!

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just received mine and it only has the Seal installer and not the Bearing installer. It too was advertised as both seal and bearing installer. If you do find a work around, please let me know. I’ll start my search now too!!

Just a heads up the one i posted was only advertised as bearing SEAL installer, which prompted me to check with vendor...glad they were honest. I am only seeing bearing installers that have a hole in them with like a set screw and they claim you have to drill your alignment bar. I am looking for a relatively cheap one like achris shows in his video.

alldodge

Staff member
looking for a relatively cheap one

Place the bearing in the freezer the day before. Find something like the pvc pipe Scott mentioned below (need something that makes contact with our race). With the bearing down close to zero degrees, it should go in easy

I have used a piece of 3" sch 40 pvc waste pipe to drive the outer race of the gimbal in, cheap tool if you gave it laying around the house

Use a block of wood against the pvc pipe

Last edited:

achris

Mine was made for me by a friend with a lathe. I gave him an old gimbal bearing and he spun up the tool for me... Mine has its own handle. Doesn't use the alignment tool...

Chris...

PeeWeeIV

Recruit
I followed the advice in post #52 and it worked like a champ- cheap too! :) Good luck, Steve

Merccoper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BMND5YB/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_aSdXCbEJ18KQ6

I think this is what we need kulle.
For me, another $50 ($29 of that is shipping to Canada)
I’m going to look around in Canada for one.

If someone could advise, I had a question about installing the bearing with the tool.
Referencing the firs picture, when installing the bearing, does that portion of the tool circled in read with an A slide into anything to help ensure the bearing is lined up correctly before hammering in?

The only real difference between the bearing install and the seal install is the outside diameter. If that part A doesn’t align the bearing before hammering in, why wouldn’t the Seal tool work? (the B part in the picture lines up with the inside diameter of the bearing, keeping the bearing centred)

Attachments

• photo311379.jpg
    photo311379.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Merc puller install kit is 91-31229A7 but most don't need all of it.
If you get the Mandrel 91-30366 (item d) then make you own drive piece to install.

puller.jpg

achris

...The only real difference between the bearing install and the seal install is the outside diameter. ...

No, the seal install tool includes a raised centre section to carry the seal. That raised section contacts the inner race of the gimbal bearing before the outside of the tool contacts the bearing carrier. So when you hit the end of the tool, the load is straight into the inner race, and you have a damaged bearing.

Chris...

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BMND5YB/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_aSdXCbEJ18KQ6

I think this is what we need kulle.
For me, another $50 ($29 of that is shipping to Canada)
I’m going to look around in Canada for one.

If someone could advise, I had a question about installing the bearing with the tool.
Referencing the firs picture, when installing the bearing, does that portion of the tool circled in read with an A slide into anything to help ensure the bearing is lined up correctly before hammering in?

The only real difference between the bearing install and the seal install is the outside diameter. If that part A doesn’t align the bearing before hammering in, why wouldn’t the Seal tool work? (the B part in the picture lines up with the inside diameter of the bearing, keeping the bearing centred)
i was able to borrow a slide hammer from work, got the bearing out in like 2-3 good whacks.... i'm going to with post #52 i think. as long as i have something 3.5 inch diameter and flat, i can knock it in.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Place the bearing in the freezer the day before. Find something like the pvc pipe Scott mentioned below (need something that makes contact with our race). With the bearing down close to zero degrees, it should go in easy

Use a block of wood against the pvc pipe

i know its a sealed bearing, but does it need any lube around the outside before putting in, or just freeze it good and tap her home?

alldodge

Staff member
i know its a sealed bearing, but does it need any lube around the outside before putting in, or just freeze it good and tap her home?

Doesn't hurt to put a little grease on it (real thin film), but should do ok without. In most cases the issue is if it starts to go in a bit tilted. If it goes in straight, it should go in easy after freezer

Status
Not open for further replies.