No announcement yet.

mercruiser 4.3L bellows relacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kulle, go to the link and click on launch parts catalog. You can select you engine or drive and see what should be there from the factory. You can get mercruiser part numbers and cross reference on google for aftermarket parts if you prefer those.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/.../parts-catalog
    2014 Mercruiser 4.3 mpi ect - SN 2A176701

Comment

Thank you !

Comment

Originally posted by poconojoe View Post
        I Loosen the hose clamps on the rubber couplings to find the flappers. There are many different designs, so make sure you get the correct ones. Hopefully there's a number stamped on your old one.
        So on my engine I should be able to access this without needed to remove the enginer ( i read somewhere some models you have to). Would this shutter be blow the exhaust risers?

Comment

Yes, just remove the boot off the Riser to the elbow and the boot from the elbow to the Y pipe
          94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
          95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
          07 Seadoo GTX
          Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
          G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Have another issue, screw head broke off, which looks to be some sort of static ground on the bell housing? How F'ed am I?

Comment

I don't think your screwed. I would hesitate to drill and retap because i don't know the thickness of the casing right there, someone might be able to jump in and let you know. You can always extend the cable and ground to one of the bellhousing studs with a larger eye ring. I would think anywhere on the drive you can ground would be fine.If that is your biggest problem you will be in good shape
              2014 Mercruiser 4.3 mpi ect - SN 2A176701

Comment

Originally posted by kulle View Post
                Have another issue, screw head broke off, which looks to be some sort of static ground on the bell housing? How F'ed am I?
                If you don't keep the boat in the water, don't worry about it, not needed
                07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Originally posted by AllDodge View Post

If you don't keep the boat in the water, don't worry about it, not needed
                  Ok, I do not keep it in water. Just for info...what's its purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by kulle View Post

Ok, I do not keep it in water. Just for info...what's its purpose?
                    Its to keep all items electrically bonded. So if connected to shore power in the water there is a complete path for the Mercathode to protect the drive.
                    07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
                      That is a piece of your exhaust flappers. They are in the exhaust pipe, just below the elbow.
                      So since I had the boat, about 1 year, I was only able to run it good ONCE, after that was having intermittent shutoffs and just ran like crap and towards end of season, basically felt a huge lack of power and would shutoff. Could this shutter valve that came lose could have been causing this issue ???

Comment

For all you that have done bellows/gimble replacements on alpha 1 gen 2 drives, do you suggest an order of install based on ease an d experiences? i.e., gimble bearing first, water hose, exhaust, ujoin bellows, etc. I have the manual but I don't think it has an order versus just how to install each. Just looking to learn from you pros.

Comment

A exhaust restriction causes a motor to be unable to breath very well. It cannot get all of the exhaust out so it is unable to pull in all fresh air

You have the right order for replacement of items, and the manual does list how to do each hose in order. They don't use step 1, 2 3 ...etc, but it is done in order
                          07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

So i have the Service Manual #14 for Alpha 1 Gen D2 drives 1991-present. The manual notes a grease hole on the gimbal bearing, however, the transom repair kit I bought OEM, that comes with all the bellows, gaskets and hoses and gimbal bearing. this new bearing DOES NOT have a grease hole, it's sealed. Is that something that changed, or do i have the wrong manual? Do i need to grease the bearing at all? I only see 2 zerk ports on the gimbal ring which seem to line up with the hing pins, nothing for the bearing?

Comment

Is that something that changed
                              All bearings are sealed now, no greasing. If you find a new old stock they can be greased. Your manual is good
                              07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

The gimbal bearing should also come with a plug for the grease nipple that was used to grease the old bearing. Remove the old nipple and put the plug in. It's a security Torx head.

Order I'd do it.
                                Gimbal bearing.
                                Connect water hose (use hot water to 'soften' the hose ends).
                                Oil monitor hose.
                                Gimbal end of shift bellows
                                Gimbal housing end of uni bellows
                                Gimbal housing end of exhaust bellows
                                Bell housing end of uni bellows.
                                Shift cable through bellows and into boat.
                                Bell housing end of exhaust bellows.

HTH

Chris.......
                                xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
                                1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
                                2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
                                (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Working...
                                X