Exhaust gasket and shutter questions 83 mercruiser 260 5.7L.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
I Pulled the Exhaust risers off the old tub for an inspection and they seem to be in great shape for their age 1983 -- freshwater use only.

I found what seems to be a 3 piece gasket with a thin stainless steel spacer as the center section under the risers -- I was not finding this same part in the parts listing -- only finding merc 863724 which does not seem to have all 4 water passage openings and is a 1 piece ( Is that OK ??? ) ( see pic )

I did find 1 shutter missing and the other was binding slightly

Also -- Is the shutter sticking / binding typical -- Any solutions ? ( Y pipe is round not oval at shuutterd)

Any advice on fishing out the old one ?? I am thinking I need a camera scope to find it and will then try to remove it based on what I can find.

The mating Surfaces seem a little rough-( see pic ) - given the lack of rust I assume the prior owner leaned these up but did not lap or mill them and replaced the gaskets

Hoping these links work --

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WBRIbWcEmRUVU-5hRbHQ7t2iXGhkVg4X/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WkVucZsNGD40nWDBLy_gufU_L_ehPS12/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13xZn1S9X_Pmnd54RG8CCZXSmo1SRBkFr/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10-FdOi6KZVJoJ7keiXOaweIjlz_kgXoe/view?usp=sharing

The engine is a 5.7 liter with a quadrejet ( merc 260 ) ​​​​​​​

Thanks for reading !

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
4th pic is suspect, try filing it with a fine flat file or take a slight cut with a milling machine

wellcraft-classic210

Yes Doc -- I will resurface them --- hoping the manifold surfaces are better// need to clean them up to see.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
most raw water cooled motors use the 2 slot/2 hole gaskets .If using risers the 4 open slot goes on the manifold first, then the riser, then the 2 slot one then the elbow

wellcraft-classic210

Yes -- It looks like someone used a riser gasket set on the elbows -- as I don't have risers -- Not sure why -- Perhaps a little more durable or just what was around at the time ??

Also -- My apologies --- I got my terms backwards & referred to elbows as risers above--( No risers involved here)

OK it seems I should order the 2 slot gaskets and 1 per side will be sufficient if the mating surfaces are cleaned up ( flat and no pits ) // will order Mercruiser brand as some look cheap like blue paper

Still need to find the missing flapper in the exhaust // and that design seems pretty marginal -- Any input is welcome

I have heard of an upgrade on the flapper / shutters but it seems that's for oval and mine is round

Thanks for any advice or following!

wellcraft-classic210

The filing work surprisingly well on the Elbows -- I need to do a little more work to achieve final flatness as 1 corner is low when checking with a straight edge.

Ordered new gaskets and shutters

I still need to get back out in the boat to work on manifold surfaces and and find that missing shutter section.
( Still pretty cold here in VT)

wellcraft-classic210

Having trouble getting good flatness on the risers when check with a straight edge -- My files are not perfectly flat and i am seeing about .015 in gaps in some places

It seems a may need to try some kind of lapping-- HMMM

wellcraft-classic210

The good news
I was able to lap the elbows to a nearly perfect flatness using adehise backed paper attached to my cast iron table saw top.

The bad news
I can see the shutter at the bottom of the y pipe using a borrowed boroscope camera --but I have not been able to move it much as it seems lodged and the grabber tool comes off when i try to pull it along --HMMM

It seems to be near the 2 smaller holes in the transom that allow water to exit ( as seen when on the wagon and running with muffs )

I may try making a hook etc -- But it seems I need to pull the outdrive as well.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Most times you remove the drive, remove the shift rod, and remove the shutter pieces
The area with the exaust relief holes is the transom part not the Y pipe part

wellcraft-classic210

OK I will try that -- Still some snow on the ground here -- so I was avoiding that if possible. ( No worse than the wet soggy ground that follows the snow melt I guess)

Thanks for the advice !!!!

wellcraft-classic210

I pulled the out drive and still could not access the shutter-- that passage is open

Their is a separator in the y pipe casting for the lower transom water exit -- so its in that which is the lowest point -- Cant find a way to grab on to it -- but I can see it with a bore scope ( tried a grab tool & variety of wires from the drain port)

It seems that pulling the motor and y pipe may be needed to remove it --

Has Anyone ever had this exact issue with 3 inch ROUND Y using shutter
99370A2 ????

Given its not in the main exhaust channel -- wondering if I should just leave it --

Pic of y pipe lowest section

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Wyyqw0jRcf5CzMDzJTWw2oxzLsxcsYuU

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B4MODQO4EoJ023AQ_MkIvmKqOu2UUiwP

wellcraft-classic210

I got the flapper to move into the main passage --- its now stuck down near the bottom of the y main exhaust passage.

I can grab on to it with the grabber but its getting caught in the last turn.

I think I may need to bend it and then get it with the grabber.

wellcraft-classic210

Finally made some progress -----

I made a sketch of gen-1 Y pipe -- Once i got the old shutter into the main exhaust passage I was able to pull it through and out.

The trick was to make sure it stayed out of the lower passage by plugging that off with a rag and pulling it through with a home mad rig of polystyrene foam sections hooked to a plastic tube .

Attachments

• Y-pipe sketch.pdf
    36.3 KB · Views: 0
  • shutters 2 types.pdf
    268.3 KB · Views: 0
  • shutter in y pipe.pdf
    555.6 KB · Views: 0
  • pull tool.pdf
    276.4 KB · Views: 0

wellcraft-classic210

Also -- Per the pics above-- The old shutter was made of solid plastic -- Merc# 92802

I was concerned it would wear a hole in the y pipe if left in place -- but being plastic ( Not Metal like the newer ones ) it may not have become an issue.

On to final flatness lapping of the manifolds , Paint and reassembly