Is my engine shot? Low compression, Mercruiser 3.0

ronaldreagan

Seaman
My 2003 Mercruisrer 3.0 (4 cyl.) would crank but not run. I checked the for spark, fuel, and compression. It's getting fuel and spark. The cylinder compression reads 70psi (cyl 1), 45psi (cyl 2), 30psi (cyl 3), 50psi (cyl 4).

I pulled the manifold and this is what I found, see picture. I plan to pull the head although the engine is not seized, I want to see how bad the cylinders are rusted.

Is my engine shot? Any suggestions on next steps (besides buy a new engine...)

Attachments

• photo309498.jpg
    photo309498.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • photo309499.jpg
    photo309499.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • photo309500.jpg
    photo309500.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
As Ronnie would say . . ."Well, there you go again"

It is 'shot', as in needing some rebuild action. You'll know more when you pull the head off.

Bondo

Staff member
I plan to pull the head although the engine is not seized, I want to see how bad the cylinders are rusted.

Is my engine shot? Any suggestions on next steps (besides buy a new engine...)

Ayuh,..... If you pressurize each cylinder at it's Tdc with compressed air,.....

You can "Hear" where the problem is,......
If the intake valve, you'll hear the air in the intake runner,....
Ditto the exhaust valves,.....
If it's bad rings, you'll hear it from the oil galleys,.....

If there's no freeze cracks, the block, 'n head can be rebuilt with machine work, 'n fresh parts,......
A new/ reman long block just might be cheaper though,.....
Depends on how well yer local Machinist likes you,......

ronaldreagan

Seaman
more pictures.... valves and cylinders. The pistons and cylinder walls look a lot better than I expected, the valves look a lot more rusted than I thought. Anybody see a smoking gun for the low compression and recommendations for the next step?

Attachments

• photo309517.jpg
    photo309517.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo309518.jpg
    photo309518.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • photo309519.jpg
    photo309519.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • photo309520.jpg
    photo309520.jpg
    574.7 KB · Views: 4
  • photo309521.jpg
    photo309521.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 4

Bondo

Staff member
and recommendations for the next step?

Ayuh,...... Find yerself a machinist, if you expect that motor to run again,......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Take motor out. Take whole thing to machine shop. It needs a full rebuild. Or buy a different motor

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
let me elaborate a bit more. the white stuff on top of each piston is corrosion from water in each cylinder

the rusted cylinder heads is from water in each cylinder

that motor either was left outside for years with the spark plugs open, or it suffered a serious issue such as a submersion.

if the motor was submerged, it sat for a while with water in the cylinders

machining prices will be in the $500-700 range for a basic rebuild, however the rebuild kit will be between $500 and $900 depending on the condition of your crank

a running 3.0 is only a few hundred. (less if it has a rotten boat attached to it)

fishrdan

Admiral
Is this a crack in the block?

I'd test the manifold by filling it with acetone, see if it has any external or internal leaks, shine a flash light up into the ports to see if there is any acetone leaking through.

Attachments

• photo309563.jpg
    photo309563.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 2

Bondo

Staff member
Is this a crack in the block?

I'd test the manifold by filling it with acetone, see if it has any external or internal leaks, shine a flash light up into the ports to see if there is any acetone leaking through.

Ayuh,..... Appears to be,.....

ronaldreagan

Seaman
I finally purchased an engine hoist and pulled the engine. Disasembled it down to removing the pistons expecting to find the cause of my low compression. No visual sign of failure anywhere..... it actually looked really good which is not good since I'm trying to find the cause of the low compression.

- the rods are not bent.
- no internal cracks in the block
- no marks on the cyclinder walls
- the rings are intact

What else should I look for?

One thing I notice but don't know if it's a concern is when I turn the fly wheel without the head on it requires some force but can be done with one hand...

I called a couple machine shops, they want $5,000 to rebuild it and are backed up for 6 months. Not a cost effective option.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: