Bell housing gasket

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
%$#@ bell housing gasket keeps squeezing out on the edge where it the thinnest. I painted the surfaces and maybe there's too much paint in that area. Anyways I loosened the nuts up and pushed that part back in there and tightened drive back up while keeping both sides pushed back in. That's kind of a dumb design in my opinion. They could have made the bellhousing a little thicker for more surface area there. Anyways I believe I got it now. I suppose if water gets in there it's not suppose to get Past the o ring in there right. I glued that in. Anyways thought maybe next time I have drive off I'll sand that area down a little bit with some sand paper to give gasket something to grip. Any opinions on this

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... So how tight are you torquing the nuts,..??

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Never had that issue, but if its driving you nuts, put some gasket sealer/or form-a-gasket on those surfaces and stick your gasket on and wait for it to dry, it will hold it in place as you install the leg.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I got tired of my old Alpha 1 doing that. I tried every imaginable nut tightening sequence. Ended up sanding the paint off of that narrow bridge area, which usually worked well as the gasket seemed to have more friction. I tried using a sealer like Mad Props recommended, that was successful, only need to use the sealer on one side of the gasket. Biggest improvement came from using aftermarket gaskets that were cut a little wider and didn't have that painted on sealer ridge the OEM gasket has. I do not remember the brand, I bought a bunch of them, still have a few. I changed out my outdrive soon after that and never suffered the same issues with the Gen 2. I know how frustrating it can be to pooch out the gasket as your finishing up maintenance.

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got tired of my old Alpha 1 doing that. I tried every imaginable nut tightening sequence. Ended up sanding the paint off of that narrow bridge area, which usually worked well as the gasket seemed to have more friction. I tried using a sealer like Mad Props recommended, that was successful, only need to use the sealer on one side of the gasket. Biggest improvement came from using aftermarket gaskets that were cut a little wider and didn't have that painted on sealer ridge the OEM gasket has. I do not remember the brand, I bought a bunch of them, still have a few. I changed out my outdrive soon after that and never suffered the same issues with the Gen 2. I know how frustrating it can be to pooch out the gasket as your finishing up maintenance.

Very frustrating. Yeah next time I have it off I'm going to sand the paint off that area also