Out drive not going into gear

Jmaxx92

Cadet
Went out Sunday boat ran fine about 3000 rpm then all of a sudden motor raced to over 4000 and started to slow down I obviously backed off and realized I was no longer in gear turned it off but not much to see so got towed in and when I got it home I went to flush it and it would not suck the water through the earmuffs pulled the out drive off separated the lower impeller was fine shift cable seems to be ok but what I did notice the prop is supposed to lock when in forward gear I can still turn it any help would be greatly appreciated

Jmaxx92

Cadet
Outdrive issues 92 alpha drive

Went out Sunday boat ran fine about 3000 rpm then all of a sudden emotor raced to over 4000 and started to slow down I obviously backed off and realized I was no longer in gear turned it off but not much to see so got towed in and when I got it home I went to flush it and it would not suck the water through the earmuffs pulled the out drive off separated the lower impeller was fine shift cable seems to be ok but what I did notice the prop is supposed to lock when in forward gear I can still turn it any help would be greatly appreciated

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

First, what is your motor and drive. Post serial numbers

Next, have you been pulling the drive every year for the anual inspection and alignment?

Most likely you lost the coupler because the motor is out of alignment

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
when you drained the oil before dropping the lower unit how much came out?
If you had recently changed the oil, exactly how did you change it

thumpar

Admiral
If the impeller isn't turning then something is broke between the engine and vertical shaft at the impeller. Could be coupler, upper gears or vertical shaft itself. Take a look at the coupler. It may have no teeth left or rubber pieces. You can pull the cap on top of the drive to see the gears. Split the drive to see the vertical shaft.

Jmaxx92

Cadet
First of all it’s a 92 5.7 alpha gen 2 I drained the oil it was a bit low but no metal second I pulled the drive and split the unit vertical shaft is fine u joints and input shaft seem fine coupler also seems fine going to bring home a 12 point socket and pull the top cap tonight

thumpar

Admiral
If you turn the input shaft is the vertical shaft spinning? Those should turn together since the shifting is done in the lower half.

Jmaxx92

Cadet
I’m pulling the drive back off tonight I’ll check when I pulled it Sunday I pulled the lower section off then the upper never checked them together

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I drained the oil it was a bit low but no metal
define a bit low. low in the res or low in the drive

Jmaxx92

Cadet
I pulled the top cap off tonight and not to my surprise both gears were totally gone Time for a new upper unit

thumpar

Admiral
All the metal that is missing is partly in the lower half too. They share lube and it drained out the bottom. It is recommended to replace the whole unit.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Maybe not, if the upper only got hot enough to melt the gears instead of crumbling them up

Jmaxx92

Cadet
They did look more melted than broken up and I did put fresh oil in Monday that I drained and it wasn’t filled with a lot of metal

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
this damage only happens when the upper unit is low on oil,maybe 1/2 a quart will do this damage, I you have just filled it correctly and this happened then you have a leaking drive you missed.