Make this boat go after sitting for many years

AyeBoats

Recruit
It's a 1984 Aquasport 222 xf cuddy cabin walk around with Mercruiser 488 R propulsion. Engine # 6659503 Outdrive # 672508.

The outdrive has been off for years. The back spark plug had a cob web on it and the engine didn't want to turn with a wrench. I let it soak overnight with a diesel/ATF mix in the cylinders and got it moving again.

So now what? What should I do before I turn the engine over with a wrench?

I already know this engine has earned a bad reputation. I've read a bunch of engine threads, some honest criticism and a whole lot hate and pig piling on the hate wagon. I don't need to hear the hate again.

I bought Mercruiser Service Manual Number 8, not sure it is the best one. It looks like a good manual but it has a table showing the serial numbers of engines covered by the manual and it doesn't include my number. Did I get the wrong manual?

My boat has the alternator upgrade and the 4" heat exchanger.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
I'll take a guess and say you need manual #3

Attachments

• photo308887.jpg
    photo308887.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

AyeBoats

Recruit
Thanks. I did buy the wrong manual. Should have asked first. I'm not sure I would have noticed without the serial numbers.

I'd like to test the engine more. The outdrive is still removed from the boat. Can I start the engine without the outdrive if I hook up a water hose for cooling?

Fun Times

Staff member
I'd like to test the engine more. The outdrive is still removed from the boat. Can I start the engine without the outdrive if I hook up a water hose for cooling?
Yes you can.....Use roughly 1/2 of the water pressure from your hose if your water pressure is strong.

AyeBoats

Recruit
Thanks. So that's the plan. I'll turn the engine over by hand to see if it feels and sounds OK. Then I'll try it with the starter. If all goes well I'll start the engine and then later do a compression check. That should keep me busy for a while.

I'm still looking at the outdrive. I'll have questions soon.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
do a cooling system pressure test.

also pull the plugs and look in each bore with a bore scope. if you have corrosion keeping it from turning over, you will see it. if you have a mouse nest or an insect nest you will see it.

if the block sat with glycol in the cylinders, you may need a rebuild. corroded cylinder or something in the bore are about the only things that would keep the motor turning over