2006 Mercruiser 3.0 Starter Noise

AMMO DAWG

Petty Officer 1st Class
I put my 3.0 in my boat after a rebuild and when I crank it over seems to be a lot of whine. I understand they use a gear reduction starter, just seems to be awful noisy compared to the starter I had in my last boat which was a GM 5.7. I researched and I'm a 100 percent that this stup doesn't use any shims, just want to understand if this starter in noisy by design or if there's something else going on. It looks like the 3.0 and the V6 use this same starter. Appreciate and info/advice, should have take a video but didn't think about it when I was messing with it. Thanks in advance!

AMMO DAWG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also, it is an aftermarket starter, was on the engine when I got the boat

wrench 3

Commander
You're description of the noise does sound like the starter drive is running too deep in the ring gear. I'd put in a shim and see if it improves it.
The earlier 3.0l used shims. They gave you a measurement for the gear depth but I've never figured out how to get a gauge in there to check it.

fishrdan

Admiral
Shim it... My old 72 140HP (basically same engine) has needed shims with every starter that's been on it, 3 or 4 starters. I use a couple of shims to get the correct clearance. I've been running one of those aftermarket gear reduction chinesium starters for the past 7-8 years without problems.

AMMO DAWG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, just one follow on question, with the offset bolt pattern where do you get you shims, do you fabricate your own?

wrench 3

Commander
Automotive supply would be the easiest place to get them. They only made the two styles for the GM starters.
There's a good chance that your local garage would have some lying around.

AMMO DAWG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I'm still fighting the starter issue, been through two starters in a couple of days. Fortunately the local starter shop had new bendix gears so I didn't have to buy another starter. I attached a couple of pictures of what it's doing to the bendix gear, alot of noise and tearing up the outside edge of the gear. When the machine shop rebuilt the engine there was a sheared starter bolt and they removed it and put in a threaded insert. The starter guy said if the hole is off a little it can do damage, struggling with that since the bolts go in okay. The machine shop replaced the ring gear, so that should also be okay. A real head scratcher, no option but to pull the engine and have a look since I can't see anything with it installed. Looking for any advice or anyone who may have encountered something similar, thanks

Attachments

• photo310201.jpg
    photo310201.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo310202.jpg
    photo310202.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 2

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks, just one follow on question, with the offset bolt pattern where do you get you shims, do you fabricate your own?

Hmmmmm,..... I've never, Ever seen a 3.0l with an off-set bolt pattern,..... Always straight across,.....

V-motors can be either, although Merc usually uses the big flywheel, 'n off-set starters,......
Volvo used to use the small flywheel, 'n straight pattern,....

Bondo

Staff member
Also, it is an aftermarket starter, was on the engine when I got the boat

Check the length of the blots,.....

I've had after market starters that needed slightly shorter bolts,......
With the original bolts, the starter won't snug tightly against the block,....

AMMO DAWG

Petty Officer 1st Class
it a mercruiser starter ($240.00!1), so I think it's good and tight. Looks like the 3.0 went to the offset starter around 2000 with the 14"flywheel.

AMMO DAWG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Think I figured it out, took pulling the engine to see what was going on. Looks like when the machine shop put my oil pan on the dinged the lip and it was bent down not allowing the starter to sit flush against the block. I bent it back best I could and touched up the edges with a grinder until it cleared, All the clearances from the bendix gear ro the flywheel look good now and when I tested it no more grinding. Man, hope this is the last time to pull this engine!

Attachments

• photo310217.jpg
    photo310217.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo310218.jpg
    photo310218.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo310219.jpg
    photo310219.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo310220.jpg
    photo310220.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 3

Bondo

Staff member
Think I figured it out, took pulling the engine to see what was going on. Looks like when the machine shop put my oil pan on the dinged the lip and it was bent down not allowing the starter to sit flush against the block. I bent it back best I could and touched up the edges with a grinder until it cleared, All the clearances from the bendix gear ro the flywheel look good now and when I tested it no more grinding. Man, hope this is the last time to pull this engine!

Ayuh,...... That ring gear looks mangled, pretty badly when I blow up the picture,.... did ya change it,..??
How 'bout a fresh bendix gear,..??

'n that starter is Not the usual Chevy staggered pattern,.......

This 14" flywheel on a 3.0l is all new to me,....

AMMO DAWG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Put a new bedix and shoe on the starter. I have. A new ring gear on order, that was a new one, the misaligned starter damaged some of the outer edges.

AMMO DAWG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here's a better view of the ring gear, I think the rust and camera angle made it look pretty bad.

Attachments

• photo310251.jpg
    photo310251.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2