New used boat , new problem

Miss Money

Recruit
Picked up a 1986 Four Winns Horizon 192 Sport. Previous owner said it ran a year ago and needed a battery. I put a new battery on and all I'm getting is a clicking from the starter. Tried turning motor at the flywheel and it won't budge. Pulled the plugs and they have some rust on them , sprayed some marvel mystery oil in each chamber. Planning to let it soak over the weekend. Any pointers or suggestions to get this thing running would be appreciated

wrench 3

Commander
If you get it moving, rock it back and forth and keep it oiled up. When you get it to make a full revolution, oil it up and spin it over with the plugs out. Then let it soak again before you try to start it.
And it wouldn't hurt to pray a lot!

P.S. Welcome aboard.

Bondo

Staff member
Any pointers or suggestions

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Pull the drive, if you haven't,.....

It's splined to the crankshaft, 'n pullin' it, eliminates it from the equation,....

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats.

Sounds like the school of hard knocks. . . . Probably needed the new battery because the engine seized :noidea:

Miss Money

Recruit
This just dawned on me .. wouldn't I need to trim the motor all the way down for it to start up?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Read the above replies - REMOVE THE OUTDRIVE.

Do not use the harmonic balancer/crankshaft nose bolt to try and turn over the motor - you will strip it out before accomplishing anything.

thumpar

Admiral
This just dawned on me .. wouldn't I need to trim the motor all the way down for it to start up?

No. It is recommended but it won't stop it from starting or turning. Do like the others have said and remove the drive. If it is locked up then you won't be able to turn the motor over.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you dont list the engine so is it the inline cast iron, the inline aluminum block, or a V6 block
Rust on the plugs indicate water entry, so best thing is to just pul the head(s)

tpenfield

Staff member
Is this your first boat buying experience?

As stated, if the outdrive is OK, then it would not prevent the engine from turning over and running.

Sure sounds like you have rusty cylinders and the pistons and cylinder walls have become one.

I think there may be an engine re-build in your future, unless you get a stroke of luck.