Carb to MPI

chard6969

Recruit
can i strip the inlet from my motor and fit a full mpi set-up ? I have a 7 4 carb and a full 7.4 mpi set up ? will I need to change the boat loom or just plug in ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can, it will cost you a fortune, however you can. you will also need to change the cam, as the carb cam and MPI cam have different LSA and ICL's

would be cheaper to sell boat, buy boat with MPI

that begs the question, what do you think you will gain with MPI over a carb? it wont be fuel economy as both will get the same. it wont be power output as that will remain unchanged. the only thing that MPI gets you that you notice other ant better tail pipe emissions is resistance to barometric pressure changes and a slightly smoother idle when the motor is cold.

Bondo

Staff member
and a full 7.4 mpi set up ? will I need to change the boat loom or just plug in ?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... You'll need everything you've got, Plus the wirin' harness, All the sensors, 'n the computer,.....

thumpar

Admiral
How must of the 7.4l MPI setup do you have? If you don't have everything down to the screw from a complete setup and know that it works I would not even thing about it. You can search and read about people that have part or most of an EFI/MPI setup and the nightmare they run into trying to get things to work. You run into parts compatibility problems and no real support. Even if you did get a partial setup working you would be 3x into it what selling your boat and buying one with MPI in it would cost.