Fuel injection option for Vortec

beech2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This has probably been touched on. I have interest in installing Fuel Injection on my 2000 5.7 Carbed bow rider. Is there a kit? or can I expect to see someone selling it from a busted motor? My goal is simple. Super easy starts with smooth acceleration and decent power. I have built stronger Alpha 1 gen 2 capable of +300 HP due to larger bearing and lower ratio input gears. Boat does fine once warmed up but that takes forever.

thumpar

Admiral
Sell the boat and buy one with EFI. It will be cheaper and easier. I prefer EFI but my old boat did just fine. It took maybe 2-3 more revolutions to start.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
You won’t see much difference in power with just an efi. You’ll need MPI and all that goes with it. Wouldn’t be a financially wise move to convert I would think.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
just to buy the parts will cost you more than it would to take your motor and build a 383 stroker. heck, just a cam kit, rejetting and a carb spacer will get your carbed 350 in the 320-330 hp range.

if you want MPI, sell your boat and buy one with fuel injection from day one.

if your boat takes forever to warm up, you need to look at your cooling system.

beech2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, Not sure why I love the easy starts of MPI. no extra power just easier starts. Mine runs fine. She's a keeper. It does 60 reliably.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Mine's a carb and it starts easily. Far easier to troubleshoot and fix when things go wonky. With EFI, it can be a real PItA to figure out what has gone wrong, and how to correct it

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
I'm with jimmbo, nothing is easier to work on the a carb'd engine. No expensive software needed.

thumpar

Admiral
Paper clip and led are all the “software” you need for EFI versions 1-4.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Only if there us a trouble code.

A properly maintained carb will start as easy as EFI

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the mpi will definitely have extra power...

Not true. it is a slight potential, however not definite.

the only potential extra power from MPI vs carb with the same long-block comes from the ability to bring the motor closer to the point of detonation via the knock sensor. however carbed motors can and have used the same spark control for the same benefit.

the additional intake plenum volume on the MPI vs low-rise cast-iron intakes can help with mid-range, however a 2" carb spacer does the same thing. add a good air-gap intake and the carbed motor is making more power

from a cam stand point, less peak power with MPI (different lobe separation required) than a carb .

you do get slightly better emissions during the warm-up with MPI. however as the MAP sensor and IAT start to drift or fuel deposits gum up injectors, that goes south quickly.

scoflaw

Ensign
MPI has better fuel distribution to each cylinder where as carb engines tend to run leaner on # 2 & 7

Scott Danforth

Staff member
and volvo pulled 307hp out of the same pre-vortec block with a carb. yes, it was prop rated.
AQ 311A307819861987
AQ 311B307819871989

and I have pulled a bit more with a cam change, vortec heads, high-rise manifold and a carb spacer.

you dont need EFI to make power.

thumpar

Admiral
If you want to make power as in mod it you probably don't want fuel injection at all. It usually won't adjust to any major power upgrades well. It is also the most expensive way to start just to throw out a lot of what makes it expensive when you add the power.

EFI/MPI is still easier to start with lower maintenance and MPI will give you better power out of the box. I can walk up to my EFI after being away and turn the key for instant starts. There is no messing with the throttle or extended cranking. A carb in perfect working condition still needs the choke set/fuel squirt and occasional rebuild/adjustment.