Two questions

Rob Laz

Cadet
I have 2 questions for you guys and gals who are much more knowledgeable than me:

1) My fuel gauge is stuck on "F". The gauge has 12 volts running to it and verified by my multimeter. When I took out the sending unit, all I got was the top portion and no rod or anything touching the gas line. When I connected the sensor wire to ground, the gauge went to "E". So I am pretty sure I need to replace the sending unit. Is it possible the bottom part of the unit fell into the tank? I tried to look but could not find it in there (tight space so limited access to visualize the inside of tank). What is an appropriate replacement?

2) I changed the engine oil then put the sterndrive on ears and started the motor. After a few minutes I was hearing one long beep the after 1 minute 2 short beeps. The Temp gauge is also creeping to the 'high' side. Is it possible the engine is getting too hot on ears alone? I noticed the there's a lot of water coming from the sides of ear muffs that is not getting into the lower unit.

Gear lube reservoir is full.

Sea Ray Bowrider
Mercruiser 3.0 I/O Alpha 1 Gen 2
Year 2010.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
1 either the gauge is wired backwards or is bad because grounding the gauge wire causes the needle to go to "full"
2 generally speaking the water or "splash" from the muffs should instantly disappear when the motor starts. If not there is a clog or a bad raw water pump (impeller)

JoLin

Vice Admiral
What Bt said. No reason the motor should overheat on muffs. I flush mine every fall by running each for a full half hour... never had a high temp reading.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
#1 Interesting... I had a boat in last week with a non functioning fuel gauge. Pulled the sender and the float arm was still in the tank... Fished it out with a magnet...

#2 Was the tap full on? Did you do anything else to the drive apart from change the oil? (Like a water pump impeller change?)

Chris...

Rob Laz

Cadet
I changed the impeller a couple of months ago and the boat had been in the water since with no problems. Just now, I just put the boat down in the water (from the boat lift) and ran it at 2000 rpm for 20 min and the alarm did not sound and the temp gauge never went past the quarter mark. I could see water coming out of the top water vents of the drive on both sides. Could it be that I have defective ear muffs? It's one of those walmart specials where the muffs are not very tight and comes out of just one muff lol.

achris

I have no idea where this idea that you have to feed both sides of the muffs came from, but I wish it would go back there! If you look at the water intakes in the drive you'd see that you can see right through. It doesn't matter if the muffs have water being fed from one side or both!

As far as the you running it on muffs. Were you also running it at 2000 on the muffs?

kenny nunez

Captain
The best Mercruiser flush out is the one that is held in place by the stainless pin with the retainer sold by Mercruiser or aftermarket copy. No way for it to slip off from too much water pressure or a heavy hose. With the generic style just wrap a bungee cord around the gearcase for extra safety.

Rob Laz

Cadet
Yes. Started on idle for a few minutes then up to 2000 rpm for a total of 20 minutes

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think that is too high an rpm for extended periods...do you just have water pickup from the foot? I would assume so....chris will chime in on the rpm I'm sure..

achris

Yes. Started on idle for a few minutes then up to 2000 rpm for a total of 20 minutes

Please read your owners handbook. NEVER exceed 1500rpm on the muffs/flushers. If you do, you run the risk of overheating the engine and damaging the impeller...

Chris.......

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I'll agree with Kenny on this, I have found that some of the aftermarket dual feed rectangular muffs are made of rubber that is too stiff to conform to the lower unit. I had trouble with 2 sets of these not sealing well to the lower unit so I picked up that Quicksilver one with the steel pin and clamp. They work much better because the softer rubber conforms to the lower unit much better.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysj65t93un6dyuy/IMG_2520.MOV?dl=0

Attachments

• photo289854.jpg
    photo289854.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0