Bellows Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bellows Install

So I called the local marine mechanic to see what a ball park $$ would be to have them install my transom repair kit, if i get cold feet. They quoted ~ $500 - $800. He also mentioned there is no way to install the drive bellows without the bellows expansion tool- but i recall reading and seeing videos that suggest otherwise? Not sure which route to go, I am mechanically able, but hope i didnt underestimate, seems like a lot of special tools are needed that I read posts where people used other means to avoid spending the $$ for them.

The bellows expander tool can be found for <$30. The only other special tool needed is the drive shaft bellows retaining ring driver. $25. $55 is a bargain vs. the shop charges. You'll have to remove the upper shift shaft to use the expander tool. This may take a little heat to remove the screw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bellows tool.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	10695423Click image for larger version

Name:	retaining ring tool.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	10695424
    '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

I've tried the various home made tools and found while they may work the type that harringtondav shows work much better.
      Money well spent in my mind.
      1980 Sylvan Aluminum 18' Sportster I/O - Mercruiser 140, Honda 7.5 Kicker, Bennett M120 Tabs
      1974 Glastron V-179, Mercruiser 140
      1984 16.5ft. Alumarine Sealark side console with 82 Merc 50
      Manitoba, Canada

Comment

No special tools needed for a Bravo
        1999 Powerquest 260 legend
        502 mpi
        B1

Comment

I made a tool from carriage bolts and pvc pipe. It worked but I would buy the tool if I was to do it again.
          83 Sunrunner 16.5 120 merc Alpha 1 drive SOLD 8/1/13

1996 Crownline 202BR
          5.7l EFI 0f791070
          Bravo I drive

GMC Yukon tow rig

Comment

ok, mine is alpha1 g2

Comment

They quoted ~ $500 - $800. He also mentioned there is no way to install the drive bellows without the bellows expansion tool- but i recall reading and seeing videos that suggest otherwise?
              Are we talking about the exhaust bellows tools ?

Comment

The drive ( u-joint ) bellows. I didnt know there were 2 different Bellows tools? I thought it was just the one expansion tool that could do both drive and exhaust bellows?

Comment

You don't use an expanding tool for the u-joint bellows. The only tool for the u-joint bellows is the ring install tool but I don't think everyone uses it.
                  83 Sunrunner 16.5 120 merc Alpha 1 drive SOLD 8/1/13

1996 Crownline 202BR
                  5.7l EFI 0f791070
                  Bravo I drive

GMC Yukon tow rig

Comment

On an Alpha 1 Gen 2, don't bother with the ring install tool. Just get a can of Quicksilver Power Tune and you can slide that ring on by hand. Super easy.
                    Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

Originally posted by JASinIL2006 View Post
                      On an Alpha 1 Gen 2, don't bother with the ring install tool. Just get a can of Quicksilver Power Tune and you can slide that ring on by hand. Super easy.
                      That is what achris mentioned also. So the u-joint bellows goes on transom side first with adhesive, then collar, then onto bell housing, then pop the ring in, then collar?

Comment

Will this work?

Comment

It seems a video would help here to explain this.

Anyone know of a good video to explain bellows service --

and also you should try to be aware of related items to inspect & consider replacing during this service such as
                          u-joints,
                          trim sender & switch,
                          shift cable,
                          gimbal bearing,
                          shift shaft seals
                          Presssure testing

I do know that the tools pay for them selves in 1 usage --

Comment

Quicksilver power tune is the same as carb cleaner at you local auto parts store for less $ and this stuff works.
                            1999 Powerquest 260 legend
                            502 mpi
                            B1

Comment

Originally posted by kulle View Post
                              That is what achris mentioned also. So the u-joint bellows goes on transom side first with adhesive, then collar, then onto bell housing, then pop the ring in, then collar?
                              Originally posted by kulle View Post
                              Will this work?
                              That's the sequence I do it in... (assuming the first 'collar' is the hose clamp. But once the locking ring is in the bell housing, nothing more. No 'collar' at that end)

achris.........
                              xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
                              1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
                              2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
                              (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Working...
                              X