Alpha 1 gen 2 ratio change

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
I wouldn’t stress the gear change too much and I’d just buy a higher pitch prop.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Agreed with others mechanic made right choice with ratio selection. just go up in pitch to a 19" I'd expirement in aluminum until you can get the pitch roughed in and get some numbers on wot rpm and slip. You might need something with better bite other than a black max like enertia or 4 blade.... but that may be for another thread.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
No, it's not. I put a 180hp 4.3 V6 (non-vortec) in a 23' boat (Caribbean Crusader hardtop) and it ran to 36 knots... Correctly propped, 300hp should be plenty for a 24' boat....

Chris........

I would rather have 300hp from 7.4 liters than from 5.7. Better torque/bottom end/holeshot. same top speed,
I am used to a 5.7 in an 18 1/2', when I'm in anything larger, they feel like dogs out of the hole, the 300 hp versions the worst. good top end, but slow out of the hole

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I would rather have 300hp from 7.4 liters than from 5.7. Better torque/bottom end/holeshot. same top speed,
I am used to a 5.7 in an 18 1/2', when I'm in anything larger, they feel like dogs out of the hole, the 300 hp versions the worst. good top end, but slow out of the hole

You're also boating on lakes and rivers where you can do 60 knots. Those of use on oceans and 'big water' don't need that, we can't do much more than about 35 knots, on a good day.... Most of the time, we're at about 18 to 24 knots. Having a huge engine trying to do those sorts of speeds has us dropping out of the bottom end of the power band, and then yes, staying on a set speed or on the plane would be problematic.

My 20' is in the top 10% of boat, in my area, as far as top speed goes. But the number of days a year I can open it right up can be counted on one hand. There's absolutely no point in having anything faster... Most boats around here don't get a V8 until over 25'. And then it's a small block. BBC's don't get into anything much less than about 30'

I suspect your 18-1/2' boat has a top speed of near 60 knots. What's your engine doing at 18 knots? And if you're in a boat that feels like 'a dog' out of the hole, it's over-propped.

Oh, and one more thing, the Mercruiser 6.2 has more power and torque than the Mercruiser 7.4. One of the reasons Merc dropped the 7.4 from the line-up.

Chris......

alldodge

Staff member
The Bertram weights 3000, the 2400SCR Maxium weights 4200
I to will take the BBC

Maclin

Admiral
BBC sure, but if your boat only has the 5.7 now then the gear ratio change can make up for it somewhat at the "expense" of some topend ;)

The gear ratio change is more economical, especially if you needed a new unit anyway.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I own a boat that was 3600# with an SBC.... while it performed OK for booze-cruise duty, it lacked grunt for water-sports or ability to get out of its own way (small fishing boats flying by)...... the combo of 5.7 motor/VP - PD drive in the 24-25' range cruisers Rogues was the only small block version offered. all others were big blocks. I too would want a BBC..... So I built one