manifold/riser gaskets

alldodge

Staff member
The block holds most of the coolant. Disconnect the large hose on the engine water pump, then fill with straight 100% AF. Run it some up to temp and then check the mix at the HE. If its the correct mix your good. If its lower then need to be, your going to have to drain some more and refill again.

If you had raw water, all of it needs to be drained or the block cracks if it get cold enough

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
10-4..and that is checking the mix with a hydrometer? Guess I better pick one of those up.....what a mess! Lesson learned.

rickasbury

and what does the system hold?? 5 gallons I think? It was coming out as fast or faster than I was pouring it in...65 bucks worth!

alldodge

Staff member
Not sure how much, but think it would be less then 5 for a small block, but just guessing

rickasbury

so did i read on one of these posts somewhere if i pull the hose off the recirculation pump the block will drain also???

above it says pull off the water pump which would not make sense...I have both.

alldodge

Staff member
so did i read on one of these posts somewhere if i pull the hose off the recirculation pump the block will drain also???

above it says pull off the water pump which would not make sense...I have both.

The above says
Disconnect the large hose on the engine water pump

The engine water pump is the recirculation water pump. The raw water pump is belt driven

Pulling the large hose will not drain the block completely, but will drain it a tad more

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Does this help? (Raw water in RED , coolant in BLUE).

Close cooled bravo.JPG

The only way to drain the manifolds is to drop the hose from the bottom of each manifold. As both hoses to the manifolds (and riser) come from near the top of the engine, draining the engine will do nothing for the coolant in the manifolds.

With this setup ('warm' risers), full flow gaskets between manifold and riser, block-off gaskets between riser and elbow....

Chris......

rickasbury

Yep! I pulled the hoses from the manifold and the pump- I got about 3 gallons in but as I was warming up the motor, I could not find the HE cap! So, did not want to get it hot and lose the coolant again, I shut it down. Can't find that dam cap anywhere- but it sounds like I'm back in business....so I'm putting the boat back in storage until after Christmas then will bring it back, tidy up some stuff and launch!

Thanks all for the help,

rickasbury

Really? Those guys don't seem to be able to lookup anything unless you have a vin number! I work at a dealership....Ford one work? Probably cheaper at an auto parts store....so they all fit?

scoflaw

Ensign
know for a fact that there are at least 2 different sizes, I own 2 vehicles with diff. size.

Standard marine cap maybe

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its an SAE medium sized standard radiator cap available for about $3

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
We all need to find a real auto parts store (not the big box junk sellers the ones that real mechanics buy stuff for the customers at) and say no to ebay and amazon. The way I tell a good auto parts store is asking mechanics where they get their parts. I have 2 good ones local to me. Not only do they have knowledge but they give you a good discount if you are frequent customer. Ebay and Amazon=convenience at the cost of knowledge. No one in the big box auto stores knows a thing.