New or used trim-tilt pump assemblies?

Shadespot

Recruit
I need some advice because of hydraulic pump units, two Bravo 2 sterndrives, two 502 Magnus engines.

I must replace both hydraulic tilt trim pumps for the Mercruiser Bravo 2 stern drives. Wanting to replace both pumps I have been looking around on Ebay for used or second hand pumps. Original pumps are expensive and as I have to do several other repairs on the boat I was thinking maybe used pumps could be all right for a number of years. The original parts number of these pumps is 865380A25 (Pump Assy Trim.) The reason why I prefer second hand parts is the price of the two new pump units is about 850 US dollars for each unit where I live in SE Asia. I can get much cheaper things, aftermarket knock-offs from China, for much less, like a third of the price of a new one, or a used pump unit for something like a 67 to 85 USD per unit.

My question is this: 1. Is it a good idea to buy used pumps units, or a knock-off, to save money? 2.

How long are hydraulic trim-tilt pumps supposed to last, in term of years and average usage?

I would also like to ask, in case the pumps fail, can they be repaired?

Thanks for any replies as this is an important issue for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I need some advice because of hydraulic pump units, two Bravo 2 sterndrives, two 502 Magnus engines.

I must replace both hydraulic tilt trim pumps for the Mercruiser Bravo 2 stern drives. Wanting to replace both pumps I have been looking around on Ebay for used or second hand pumps. Original pumps are expensive and as I have to do several other repairs on the boat I was thinking maybe used pumps could be all right for a number of years. The original parts number of these pumps is 865380A25 (Pump Assy Trim.) The reason why I prefer second hand parts is the price of the two new pump units is about 850 US dollars for each unit where I live in SE Asia. I can get much cheaper things, aftermarket knock-offs from China, for much less, like a third of the price of a new one, or a used pump unit for something like a 67 to 85 USD per unit.

My question is this: 1. Is it a good idea to buy used pumps units, or a knock-off, to save money?

Unless you know the age and history of a secondhand unit, I'd be skeptical. Knock-offs are generally inferior. There's a reason for them being 1/3 the price....

2.How long are hydraulic trim-tilt pumps supposed to last, in term of years and average usage?

My current pump is 12 years old and still going strong. My previous was also 12 years old when I sold it. As far as I know it's also still going. My friend's boats, some pumps are over 20 years old and still running fine (the brackets have rusted out, but the pump's still working)....

I would also like to ask, in case the pumps fail, can they be repaired?

Yes, those pumps are easily repaired, depending on exactly what fails.

Thanks for any replies as this is an important issue for me.

Here's something to consider... Those pumps are just a Parker-Oildyne series 108 with a 'C' reservoir. Why not cut out the marine tax middle man (Mercury Marine) and buy from Parker?

Couple of other things.
1. :welcome: to iboats.
2. What's failed on the pumps?

Chris......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Take your trim pumps to your local hydraulic repair shop and have them reconditioned for about $50 each

A new unit from parker (list price) is only $508

Shadespot

Recruit
Thanks for the welcome and good advice given here. 500 plus dollars is a great price. The reason I need new pumps is the old ones were removed (stolen) from the boat in a marina. Other things taken were the Mercury Quicksilver generator, of I think 7kW. Propellers were taken too, but I have got new ones. Thanks again, I am glad I joined this forum.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
...the old ones were removed (stolen) from the boat in a marina. Other things taken were the Mercury Quicksilver generator, of I think 7kW. Propellers were taken too, but I have got new ones. Thanks again, I am glad I joined this forum.

Ouch! Marina's insurance doesn't cover it? Your insurance doesn't cover it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if they were stolen, the marina insurance should make you whole