Alpha II trim cyl. upper pivot shaft vexes me

harringtondav

Commander
Since day one I've had to drive out that long shaft at the top of the trim cyls. out when pulling the drive. It's a handful. The shaft always hangs up in the opposite cyl. shaft bore. I try backing that cyl with my hip, etc. Same cluster when I reinstall it. Any suggestions?

My pal's pushes out with a screw driver, and then pulls the rest of the way out w/fingers. I'm about to fabricate a wood back up device.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
You're referring to the trim ram aft anchor pin?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Yes. I find as you drive the pin out through the first ram the weight of the drive is then on the remaining ram, so the pin is fully loaded. Even trimming fully down doesn't help because the drive will travel further than the rams... Can't offer you any solution other than what I do. Beat it with a 3/8 extension, and grease it well when you put it back together... I am expecting that my new 'drive lift' will help in that regard too...

Chris...........

harringtondav

Commander
I am expecting that my new 'drive lift' will help in that regard too...

Chris...........

Yes, I've started putting a floor jack under the skeg, lift and lower gingerly until I find the sweet spot of min. binding. It helps a little. This also keeps the drive from falling once the first ram is clear, and pushing the free ram out of alignment.

Still trying to simplify the process....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Have you tried removing the rams first, then the pin should just slide out.
Another cause is corrosion built up between the cylinder and the plastic bushing crushing the bushing.and jamming in the pin.
Remove the rams, remove the plastic bushings, get new ones if necessary and get a 3/4 wire brush used for cleaning copper fittings and clean the rams and or sand them until the bushing just slides in. Assemble with grease

harringtondav

Commander
Another cause is corrosion built up between the cylinder and the plastic bushing crushing the bushing.and jamming in the pin.
Remove the rams, remove the plastic bushings, get new ones if necessary and get a 3/4 wire brush used for cleaning copper fittings and clean the rams and or sand them until the bushing just slides in. Assemble with grease

Thanks Doc. I haven't paid much attention to the ram bores. I'll do this.

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the drive supported before removing the ram clips and bushings.

Last edited:

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did you mean "not nuts" ;-) Yeah, I was thinking of my Bravo drive.

Bondo

Staff member
Have you tried removing the rams first, then the pin should just slide out.
Remove the rams, remove the plastic bushings, get new ones if necessary and get a 3/4 wire brush used for cleaning copper fittings and clean the rams and or sand them until the bushing just slides in.
Assemble with grease

Ayuh,....... I find That to be the key to future disassembly,......