Water leak

sr79

Seaman Apprentice
My 1979 SeaRay 268 was moored for 3 years with very little use. I raised the outdrive full up to change the prop and ran the engine for several minutes, a few days later I noticed about 4" of water in the bilge. Pumped the water out and dried the bilge, started the engine and noticed water trickling from somewhere around the outdrive, but impossible to see exactly where it was coming from. Shut engine off and the water seemed to stop, boat is now in my driveway.

I'm looking for any suggestions someone may have before I start tearing things apart.

harringtondav

Commander
It could be from several locations. My usual suspects are the shift cable bellows, or the drive shaft bellows. I'd look into this fourm's stickies and advice on changing both bellows. You may as well change the exhaust bellows. The full job is doable if you have basic mechanical skills. Needed is a wrench adapter to remove the bell hsg. pivot pins. (6 pt allen adapters will work), and the drive shaft bellows retaining tool, and exhaust bellows pulling tool. Normally the cost of the bellows kit and tools beats shop prices.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
First up, pull the drive, have a look and see if you have water in the bellows...

sr79

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you, both good suggestions. I did notice that the bellows was getting a little stiff when I changed the engine. Being a paper mill mechanic I do have a lot of tools but you mentioned a bellows puller tool, that's something new to me so I'll need to find out what that is. I appreciate your help

achris

More fish than mountain goat
.... you mentioned a bellows puller tool, that's something new to me so I'll need to find out what that is. I appreciate your help

Only needed to install the exhaust bellows, and that's not the source of your leak. The exhaust bellows is either full of exhaust gas and exiting cooling water, or when the engine is shut down, full of seawater.

Plans for making your own puller are in the stickies. I made one up using the plans years ago. Simple easy, cheap and effective... Think it cost me $3 in materials.

Chris.......

harringtondav

Commander
Thank you, both good suggestions. I did notice that the bellows was getting a little stiff when I changed the engine. Being a paper mill mechanic I do have a lot of tools but you mentioned a bellows puller tool, that's something new to me so I'll need to find out what that is. I appreciate your help

I'm sure the stickies show the pic. below. If I had my welder at the time, I wouldn't have paid $30+ for the thing. I've also pasted a pic of the 12 pt. hinge pin tool and the drive shaft bellows retainer driver. If you have access to an engine lathe, you can whip one up easily. Mine is plastic or nylon like below. Aluminum would also work.

s_l500__81674.1488396519.jpg

s-l640.jpg

21stPr68OUL.jpg