2002 Crownline 262 CR 5.7 B3 Hydrolocked broken valve trashed cylinder

dollar7499

Seaman
Jet suggested that since the boat eventually gets up to full speed that I might not need to replace the secondary rods, but suggested CH rods if I choose to. The tech asked me to set the air door spring to 3/4 turn and test and go down to 1/2 turn if the issue continues. He believes the secondary air doors and rods aren't moving fast enough and causing the lean condition.

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like some good info, but without a AFR meter, going to need to pull some plugs after running to see if your lean

dollar7499

Seaman
OK, got to go out on the lake with someone to work the throttle while I made adjustments. I loosened the secondary air door twice, its only at about 1/4 turn from contact (but not bogging). I have gotten it to the point where secondary air doors open smoothly, but still having backfires in the primary if I throttle up too quickly, and constant popping out of secondary and primary at WOT. I can throttle up at a medium speed to get on plane no problem, issues are only if I throw it all the way down. Soo close! Threw a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel pump and it read 11psi, but I think its high because its meant to be on t fitting, not the end of the line by itself.

alldodge

Staff member
fuel pump and it read 11psi, but I think its high because its meant to be on t fitting, not the end of the line by itself.

End of the line or on a Tee its to high (3 to 7)

Backfiring, is either timing or valve is burn

dollar7499

Seaman
I checked timing a few times while I was out, I jumpered into base timing mode and out several times and couldn't hear any difference, I need to find out if it's really going in and out of base timing mode.

Everything I read about a burnt valve sounds like you would hear something off. This is a brand new engine, so hopefully chances are low.

alldodge

Staff member
Guess I missed something somewhere, but a 1984 MCM 260 should be a TB-4 so there should not be a base timing mode

dollar7499

Seaman
Hi! Yeah AD, the 1984 block was sitting in the boat when I bought it, I took the carb from it and re-used it when I installed the new vortec long block.

dollar7499

Seaman
It is the V with knock sensor. Everything is period correct in this 2002 boat except for the Q-jet now to ease confusion.

dollar7499

Seaman
Checked my water separating fuel filter and found it half full of water. I thought I had diluted enough with fresh fuel and burned out all the water a long time ago, but I guess not. Finding out where I can get rid of 30 gallons of bad gas through my city...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
why not pump the water out until you get to good gas?

dollar7499

Seaman
Hi Scott, I'm glad you asked! .... maybe you could help me understand how the fuel pickup is on the bottom of the tank and water sits below the gas but I haven't started sucking up water in months since the last time it was at 1/4 tank?

Teach me how to get just the water out, please

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Get a barrel and pump it all out. Pull your tank gauge sender out and get the tank empty and known clean. You cannot trust your self and family/friends safety to a tank with water in it. Once you can *see* how much water is in how much gas, you can decide what to do with it. Pumping the water off and then treating with ethanol is one way to get the octane back up where it belongs and make the fuel usable. Problem with water in any gas that has ethanol in it is the water and ethanol immediately combine. The result is you pull a bunch of ethanol out of the fuel and leave the fuel below minimum octane rating. Once you get the water ethanol mix out you can then treat the fuel to get it back to decent rating and use it in something. I probably wouldn't put it in a fuel injected vehicle, but lawn mowers and the like, no problem.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hi Scott, I'm glad you asked! .... maybe you could help me understand how the fuel pickup is on the bottom of the tank and water sits below the gas but I haven't started sucking up water in months since the last time it was at 1/4 tank?

Teach me how to get just the water out, please

pull the sender, stick a hand-siphon pump in there, you will see the water separate from the fuel, and siphon out the water.

fuel floats on top of the water, so if you let the tank sit for a few days, all the water will have settled to the bottom.

alldodge

Staff member
My opinion, others vary
Once gas goes bad, its bad and nothing will bring it back. You can mix it a little at a time with some good, but your just make the good stuff not so good, but probably good enough to burn somewhat.

dollar7499

Seaman
I pumped it all out. After the first 5 gallons from the bottom I sampled some in a jar, it looked clear, so I filled all my gas cans and 2 more 5 gallon buckets. About 20 gallons total, gauge said I had 1/4 tank so my gauge gives me a -5 gal reserve... guess I need to adjust the float too! I am dying to refill it and test it on the lake, but Atlanta traffic towards the lake is going to be awful.

Off to flag down some lawn crews to take some of this gas!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I pumped it all out. After the first 5 gallons from the bottom I sampled some in a jar, it looked clear, so I filled all my gas cans and 2 more 5 gallon buckets. About 20 gallons total, gauge said I had 1/4 tank so my gauge gives me a -5 gal reserve... guess I need to adjust the float too! I am dying to refill it and test it on the lake, but Atlanta traffic towards the lake is going to be awful.

Off to flag down some lawn crews to take some of this gas!

If you dilute it enough, you can just run it in your car with no ill effects. Dilute it 1 gallon to 10 and you'll never notice it.

Make sure you suctioned all the water and other debris out of the tank. tip the bow up. The gage senders are usually near the back of the tank.

Regards,

Rick

scoflaw

Ensign
If it's not good enough for the boat, then it's not good enough for anything else I own.

Burn some brush, or set it out in pails to evaporate