Sea Foam before water separator filter change

Lancerdad34

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 95 Bayliner 2450 Classic that has been sitting since last summer. It has a half tank and it ran good when I tried it out. I have a gallon of sea foam that I want to add when I fill it up. I figure on adding about halve a gallon as the tank holds 78. Should I change the filter first or wait until I run some of the gas thru the engine?

Thanks,
Brian
Harrison Twp Mi

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
that stuff is just snake oil , not needed if you run the correct fuel/water sep filter

harringtondav

Commander
that stuff is just snake oil , not needed if you run the correct fuel/water sep filter

Exactly. And a gallon of any fuel system additive is way too much. Most call for less than an ounce per gal. of gas. The fuel filter screens out the tank crud. Stabil at the correct rate is worthwhile to keep your gas fresh during lay over.

I will add the proper dose of Red Line fuel treatment a couple times per summer to keep the small carb passages open, but I think this does me more good than my engine. If I had an EFI engine, this would be more worthwhile keeping the injectors clean. But one tank full of BP Invigorate will do the same. If you trailer, use a 'Top Tier" no alcohol gas, and you'll be fine.

I'm on a lift with gas docks close by, but I carry on my own gas. $1 less per gallon, and I know what I'm putting in the tank.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have ocean front property in the middle of south dakota that I can sell you if you like buying things that do nothing except make your wallet lighter.

Lancerdad34 harringtondav

Sea Foam and Red Line snake oils are not needed

there is no mechanic in a can.

Seafoam is 4 parts diesel fuel, 2 parts Naphtha and 1 part isopropyl alcohol. you get more fuel system cleaning by simply filling up your fuel tank at the local gas station with e10 and simply driving it.

if your fuel system has been sitting for a year. you need to check if the stuff in there is still fuel. most of the time the organic components have broken down and what is left is varnish/sludge.

harringtondav

Commander
Scott Danforth Agree 100%. But I had a bad experience with ethanol on a very hot day on the DBQ IA Miss. river. We shut down to haul in a skier. When I tried to plane back up the engine stumbled and started to die. After idling for a minute all was good. I have the 4bbl 4.3, so no fuel cooler. I guessed the hot engine compartment cause the alcohol to boil and vapor lock things. The idling allowed fresh cool fuel to take back over.

Since then I've used no-alcohol gas and haven't had a problem.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
in your guessing what happened, remember that the boiling point of liquids is dependent on the pressure of the liquid

Lancerdad34

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the replies! I did test the boat last Sat and ran good. So it seems like everyone is telling me just to fill up with fresh gas, change the filter and forget the sea foam?

harringtondav

Commander
in your guessing what happened, remember that the boiling point of liquids is dependent on the pressure of the liquid
Yep. Ethanol boils around 167 degrees. Apparently my blower didn't do much good on that 92 degree day