impeller

boatman37

Lieutenant
So looking to replace my impeller before we hit the water. I want mercruiser parts but not sure what the part number is? tried doing a search but couldn't find anything that was definitive. Boat is a 1986 Sundancer merc 260 alpha one gen 1. here is my serial number>0A593759

looking for the whole kit. not having any problems. runs at just under 160* but it was last replaced in june 2015 when we bought it. probably about 70 hours on it since then. not sure if i should replace the housing but if it isn't much more $ i will just replaced that too.

So looking for the Merc part number and where to order it from.

thanks

boatman37

Lieutenant
Thanks! That serial# is off the engine I think. Would the outdrive be a different number? I just got the boat out of storage yesterday so will have to check the outdrive for numbers. Hate to order the wrong thing and have to return it. I have never replaced an impeller. When I bought it took it to a shop and had it done. New experience here for me...lol

Called my local dealer and they said they have it there but they are only open Monday through Saturday so I can't get there until next Saturday. Worst case I will go there and get it but need quite a bit of stuff and their prices aren't the best (it's a Sea Ray dealer...lol)

I will follow up with the outdrive serial number if you need that. Or are they all the same and the one you posted will be it regardless?

alldodge

Staff member
The out drives do have different serial numbers. Even with different, your drive is in the range of the link provided.

boatman37

Lieutenant
Just looked through my papers. Remembered there was another serial# so got that. It says MerCruiser Transom Assembly A579156. Is that the outdrive or the actual transom assembly? There are no stickers on the outdrive itself. There is a pack of stickers the original owner gave me. Thought maybe he ordered replacements to put on after painting or what? Anyway, unless there are numbers stamped into the O/D then I doubt I have any other numbers.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Dont forget the full gasket set for the bell housing if you are removing the entire outdrive which I highly recommend.Use plenty of grease on the splines,shift arm, and check the gimble bearing with your fingers

boatman37

Lieutenant
Had the whole outdrive off last winter. Wan't planning on pulling it off again this winter? Gimble bearing was replaced summer of 2015 when the impeller and bellows were done.

boatman37

Lieutenant
Went to West Marine today. They told me this is the one I need but they had to Google it to be sure...lol. Psrt # is Quicksilver 46-96148Q 8
The one you mentioned AD was the same number but had an A instead of a Q. Any idea what the difference is? They didn't have an A there.
IMG_2661.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
A is Mercury/Mercruiser, and Q is Quick silver, same part

boatman37

Lieutenant
pshwewwwww....lol. cool. i was worried it was wrong but they said that was it. I thought quicksilver was the mercruiser OEM part?

boatman37

Lieutenant
Pulled the lower unit today. Thats all the further i have made it. Weather has sucked. First nice day we had. might swap out the impeller tomorrow

alldodge

Staff member
Same issue here, I want to take the boat out for some testing and weather is crappy

boatman37

Lieutenant
Changed the impeller just now. Very simple...lol. Old impeller looked very good and housing looked almost new. no marks at all but there were a couple small ridges near the center hole of the housing (achris points this out in his video). The impeller was bent over and had 'wrinkles' in the bends but didn't see any cracks. one of the bolt holes in the upper housing had a small crack. Also, the drive was leaning on the wall overnight and there was water that leaked out the top of the housing where the shaft and water slinger sits. i assume this means the seal on top of the housing was going bad? I bought the whole kit so i replaced the upper housing anyway.

haven't put the drive back on yet but the impeller is done.

alldodge

Staff member
i assume this means the seal on top of the housing was going bad?

Unable to say for sure, but applying pressure to one side of a seal overnight, might not necessarily means a bad seal. Applying pressure to one side can cause a leak

boatman37

Lieutenant
Well the seal was replaced with the housing so either way it should be good now. Now if we can ever get decent weather...

boatman37

Lieutenant
So put everything back together a couple weeks ago and finally fired it up today on the muffs. Everything seems good but couple of questions to be sure. With the muffs and water on, engine off, quite a bit of the water is coming out where the lower meets the upper. There was no gasket and I'm assuming this would be normal? Even running it comes out of there. The other thing that I have to take a closer look at is when running water is pouring out where the exhaust bellows is so it either fell off of tore. I know the exhaust bellows isn't that important but makes me want to take a closer look at the other bellows. Either way hardly anything coming out of the prop. I let it run about 15 minutes at between 1000 and about 1500 RPM and the temp never went over 140*.

Should I be concerned about the water coming out between the upper and lower? I will take a closer look at the bellows and report back

This is a 1986 Alpha 1 Gen 1