Fluid leaking from outdrive

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello - have a question on some fluid I see is leaking from the outdrive... trying to determine where it is coming from.

Initially, I thought it may be coming from the Bell housing - but that should not be holding in any oil at all...right?

Then I noticed the square junction box with the hydraulic hoses for the trimming of the outdrive that sits underneath, and thought that maybe the fluid is leaking toward the transom and then down...

Then I checked my hydraulic fluid in the reservoir.... milky

Not to mention my trim up does not work (probably a solenoid) but my trailer up switch is working...weird.

So - are there some gaskets in that hydraulic junction that could have gone bad possibly?
Any other opinions would be much appreciated...

Thank you!

Attachments

• photo286463.jpg
    photo286463.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0

mr 88

Commander
Is the fluid leaking inside the boat or outside ? You probably have a bad seal on one of your hydraulic rams or a bad hydraulic line and it is sucking in water as well as leaking . That would be why your reservoir oil is milky. The only place your outdrive usually would leak from is the prop shaft and drive shaft. If its leaking while the boat is sitting in your driveway you should be able to trace it down. Run the trailer trim up and down a few times and that should verify one of the cylinders. Your junction box looks dry and your milky oil is a sign of water entering the hydraulic system.

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello - and thank you!

It is definitely leaking outside, however the inside is a little messy with fluid...

I don't think its the rams, because it is only leaking at the junction box on the underside of the outdrive?
Since the fluid was actually on the transom/stern (I wiped some off) I would think for sure it was coming from the junction box...

I posted another zoomed photo of that area - and you can see some discoloration (caused by the fluid) where the box meets up with the bottom of the bell housing.

Attachments

• photo286471.jpg
    photo286471.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286472.jpg
    photo286472.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0

mr 88

Commander
Really cant tell anything from picture 2 and the first one looks dry with some old residue showing,not leaking. If you think its the outside junction box ,clean with brake clean or similar product,hit the switch and go back and look to see where its exactly coming from. In most cases its the line and not the actual junction box. Is the fitting tightly screwed into the Jbox ? Don't overtighten or you will strip it as the Jbox is probably aluminum.

Bondo

Staff member
have a question on some fluid I see is leaking from the outdrive...

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... You have to Identify the fluid 1st,.....

Gear oil, 'n hyd. oil smell very different,...
Color, 'n consistency will also help,...

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Bondo!

This is my first boat I have ever personally owned - my dad had a few when I was growing up in Michigan...

The fluid coming out of that area is a golden color.

Its not pouring or dripping out constantly - I only noticed if after I had trimmed up/down the motor - and before I even started it in my driveway.

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I worked on my boat a little this weekend. Checked out the pump and noticed that the pump bracket was corroded - so I pulled the whole pump out. I have ordered and will replace the 2 solenoids while it is out... anything else I should do while the whole assembly is out?
(BTW it was a total PITA - had to reach WAY down to back-out 2 phillips screws behind it)

So - I'm not sure what to expect when I pull down the hydraulic manifold... I may have a bad hydraulic line that goes from the manifold to the pump - I have heard that can be replaced however.

My other question is... what keeps the water from going into the boat where all the lines go in??

I attached a picture and circled the area.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo286795.jpg
    photo286795.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
My other question is... what keeps the water from going into the boat where all the lines go in??

Ayuh,..... The hyd. manifold, 'n it's gasket,.....

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Bondo!

But just so that I understand... there is one gasket (circled in red where its supposed to be) that keeps the water (in blue) from entering through the transom?

(sorry for the crude drawing)

ND

Attachments

• photo286797.jpg
    photo286797.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 1

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, just trying to confirm that there is a gasket underneath the hydraulic manifold (and that is what is keeping water from entering the boat) on the outdrive? If so, I may need to order a whole new gasket, and possibly a new manifold if that is what is causing the fluid leak.

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Hello, just trying to confirm that there is a gasket underneath the hydraulic manifold (and that is what is keeping water from entering the boat) on the outdrive? If so, I may need to order a whole new gasket, and possibly a new manifold if that is what is causing the fluid leak.

Thanks!

Ayuh,..... Yes, a blackish paperish gasket, 'tween the manifold, 'n transom housin',....

Pull those 2 nuts, pull the manifold down abit, 'n Look,.....
If the manifold is rotten, it'll be obvious,.....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If it helps any...the trim up button not working but trailer button is....usually the trim sender. Most don’t bother fixing. Likely unrelated to the oil leak.
Leak may be caused by either ram seals or hydraulic trim fittings to rams.
Recently a rediculous number of Mercruiser driven boats, in a short period of time had similar issues and were all found with corroded fittings to the rams. This caused water ingress to the hyd system. This was in fresh water.
It didn’t take long to find that the marina pontoons and improper earthing/conductivity issues were to blame. These wee fittings and their fitment were the weak point along with not able to cope anodes. Just a thought.

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Bondo ad QBhoy!
Will try to figure this out tomorrow after our neighborhood annual Easter Egg Hunt =)
I'm betting on the water getting into the system from the manifold - mostly because of the leak around it...so I'll pull that down and check it out.
I'll probably have to at least get a new manifold gasket - I don't like reusing gaskets if it can be avoided - plus who knows what condition its in...
Unfortunately I have to wait until my hydraulic pump bracket gets here before I can put it all back together and flush the system. I got a few quarts of non-detergent SAE 30W lubricating oil for the system - I just got the Supertech stuff at the Walmarts.

Is there a way to "pressure test" the hydraulic system without blowing any hoses?

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK - so I was able to go to the yard this weekend.

I pulled down that plastic piece which covers the hydraulic manifold - I think that plastic piece is for the mercathode?

Anyways, I was only able to pull it down maybe an inch because of the 2 wires connected to it - I was afraid I was going to tear those wires off... Can that be puled down any more (or the wires disconnected somehow) so I can take a better look at the manifold?

The hydraulic fluid leak definitely appears to be coming from that area as can be seen in the pics... maybe I just need a new manifold - or possibly one of the hoses came loose up above it?

Attachments

• photo287176.jpg
    photo287176.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo287177.jpg
    photo287177.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo287178.jpg
    photo287178.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo287179.jpg
    photo287179.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 0

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
...Just checking to see if anyone else has had this issue?

I can only pull down the Mercathode Electrode Assembly down maybe an inch...

I guess my main question is - Since this is a trailered boat, does not sit in water, probably will not go into salt water, and does not connect to shore power in a slip - do I really need that mercathode in the event I break one of the wires getting to the hydraulic manifold?

I guess if I really needed to - I could put another sacrificial anode there...that I know will work...

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I ain't had one of those apart lately, but My thoughts anyways,.....

Find the mercathode wirin' inside the hull, 'n feed more slack wire to the unit,.....

If ya ditch it, 'n go with an anode, yer probably gonna need a different manifold, without the hole in it,....

Take the nuts off the manifold, 'n pry it loose,....

Ya might gain some space that way,... the inner/ upper hyd. lines will allow a few inches of leeway,....

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is a pic of a new manifold - this one has the hole in the center between the 2 incoming hydraulic lines for the mercathode wires.

I'm assuming the smaller gasket and plate underneath the manifold in the pic is a "block off" plate for the wire hole?

Thanks!

ND

s-l400.jpg