Replaced impeller/ Oil discolortion

fred2324

Recruit
I recently changed my Impeller and filled the lower drive with new oil, the oil seems fine except it has a lightness to it. Doesn't look like water is in it but not sure why the color.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... The oil ya drained out, or the oil ya put in,..??

Scott06

Vice Admiral
X2 on what kind you are using. If you drained out merc high performance lube it is blueish green. Merc makes a premium lube that is light brown in color, typical of most 90w lubes you see on the market. The premium lube used to be ok for alpha one gen 1s (1990 and older) but now is labeled for 75 hp and below.

fred2324

Recruit
I bought Valvoline, the color before I run the motor is much different than after. The consistency of the oil seems to be ok. I convinced water has not contaminated the oil but could exhaust be a possibility. Am I using a cheap oil?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Valvoline is good oil. I didn't know they made a marine gear lube.

And I still am not clear, the oil has a streak through it out of the bottle? Or the drained oil had a streak through as you changed it?

fred2324

Recruit
Im just not confident, I'm going to tear it apart again this weekend and make sure I didn't miss anything. Thanks for all the advise. Will post my findings.

Bondo

Staff member
Valvoline is good oil. I didn't know they made a marine gear lube.

Ayuh,.... Though it don't say Marine on the bottle, I use Valvoline 75W-90 Syn-oil, or Mobil 1, 75W-90 syn-oil in all my drives,....

Same as the Good Merc stuff, without the dye added,.....
Golden amber color,...
Water shows up as cloudy milky streaks if present,....

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Ayuh,.... Though it don't say Marine on the bottle, I use Valvoline 75W-90 Syn-oil, or Mobil 1, 75W-90 syn-oil in all my drives,....

Same as the Good Merc stuff, without the dye added,.....
Golden amber color,...
Water shows up as cloudy milky streaks if present,....

Thanks for the insight.

R

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Why don't you post a pic of what the lube looks like now, by draining a little bit out before you tear back into it. The folks here have seen enough water in oil to tell if you gave an issue.

X2 on non marine lubes, while I run merc in my alpha drive, to got sick of paying Sea doo $15 for 6 oz of jet pump oil. mobil one gear lube works just fine in it fir the last five years