Alpha Gen II trim question

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So when I pulled the trim pump and wiring assembly I expected the outdrive to drop and fluid to pour from the trim lines that were now off the pump and in a bucket but the drive didn't move. I stood on it and nothing. Is there some kind of valve in line that I'm not seeing?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
IF it was stored in the up position the rams may be slightly frozen.You will need to reverse the trim lines at the pump to get it moving again and then switch the lines back to their normal positions

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just had them moving two days ago before I removed the pump. The pump was screeching and the entire electrical assembly was corroded. I assumed the screech was the pump or low voltage to it. If there's no valve I'm thinking I have a bad ram. My next step would be to pull the pin and see which ram moves and which does not.

Does that sound right?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
You could do that but reversing the lines to get it moving will do the same thing.The end caps slightly corrode and cause the O rings to bind up. Spray the rod liberally when you get them moving.

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The starboard end cap o ring went to **** even though it's only 3 years old and the end cap rode against the piston a bit. I'm going to cut off the end cap since it seems to have welded itself on then I'll polish out the piston and replace the end cap assuming it's reusable.

Bondo

Staff member
The starboard end cap o ring went to **** even though it's only 3 years old and the end cap rode against the piston a bit. I'm going to cut off the end cap since it seems to have welded itself on then I'll polish out the piston and replace the end cap assuming it's reusable.

Ayuh,.... Not that it matters,... but for clarity,...

That's the Rod, or shaft,....
The Piston is bolted to the Rod on the other end, inside the Cylinder, that the Gland nut is frozen too,..... ;)

achris

More fish than mountain goat
End caps that bind on the rod are NEVER reusable. It's the cap itself that has corroded, not the 'o'rings. Buy a new cap and seal kit before you start the job. Rescrew the end cap and pull the rod and piston out. Remove the screw holding the piston to the rod and then remove the old cap from the rod. Clean up any aluminium from the rod. If there are any deep scratches on the rod, consider replacing it. Fit all new seals in their respective places. With the cleaned old rod or a new rod, push the new cap onto it, put the piston in place on the end of the rod and torque the screw to spec. Fit the assemlby back on the cylinder and screw the end cap back into the cylinder and torque it.

Chris.......