1992 3.0 Mercruiser Gimbal Housing

1970Mach1

Seaman
I hit a log this summer, when I was winterizing the boat I noticed the gimbal housing was busted up pretty bad on one side. It's a Alpha 1 Gen 2. So my question is when looking for a replacement gimbal housing, will only a gen 2 fit? Or are they all mostly the same?

alldodge

Staff member
The Gen 2 part number is unique (806031A2) for Gen 2 only. This tells me that Gen 1 or Bravo's will not work

alldodge

Staff member
Just entered 806031A2 in ebay search and found 2 used ones for 250 and 300. Both also have shipping but not much

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Wow, both the bell housing and the gimbal ring thrashed. Nice it made it back, wouldn't have taken much more to pull the whole leg off.

You indeed need Gen2. The whole enchilada would be nice since yours has some significant corrosion.

Rick

1970Mach1

Seaman
Yes I don't know how it didn't break off, the pivot pin connection is broke, the hydraulic ram is busted off. It has a mean tilt to the left to.

Ok so how do you tell the difference of a Gen 2 to a Gen 1? Of course I could find cheap parts locally if it was Gen 1.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Ring part number #865328A01.. I would be searching for a rotted out donor boat as one of your options. '92 or newer is Gen2. Sell parts you don't need. All sorts of small differences between the models. Not many of the parts cross over.

You're lucky it didn't sink.

1970Mach1

Seaman
Is that a Gen 2? It looks like it but it has a grease fitting up top and mine doesn't have that extra smaller rectangular piece with the grease fitting.

Bondo

Staff member
Donno,.... I Id the differences by lookin' at the shift shaft through the bellhousin',....
As that's the major difference 'tween 'em,....

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Agree with Bondo, I never thought to compare a side pick of the gimbal housing. A rear picture (or the serial number), or a shot of the leg, and slam dunk easy. Most obvious differences being the shift shaft in the bottom of the bellhousing or the hydraulic ram hole location on the leg. Mercruiser came out with the Gen2 in 1992. I can see a boat manufacturer using 1991 components.

Another major difference, only the Gen2 has a speedometer tube connection at the intermediate shift shaft from the lower into a small hose that passes through the upper. I do not see that hose hanging in the photo.

ALso, Gen2, if I am not mistaken, never had the bottom bolts with the screw on anode. They were all aluminum carriage bolts.. that pic has the anode on it.

One note, if you find a complete Alpha1 unit, transom to outdrive, you can swap all of it onto your boat. Did your outdrive sustain any damage?

1970Mach1

Seaman
That was a picture sent to me in a email. What is the "leg" you mention that is a slam dunk? I honestly should take it off and look it over but I didn't notice any damage to the outdrive.

I think that one in the picture is gen 1, my opinion.

1970Mach1

Seaman
To me it looks like gen 1 part attached to the boat and gen 2 gimbal ring and bell housing.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
That was a picture sent to me in a email. What is the "leg" you mention that is a slam dunk? I honestly should take it off and look it over but I didn't notice any damage to the outdrive.

I think that one in the picture is gen 1, my opinion.

Leg = slang name for the outdrive.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
BTW, the gap between the two arched ears on the bottom of the gimbal gimbal housing (these support side to side pressure on the leg and are curved to match the drive in different trim positions) is different width from Alpha 1 to Gen2.

Gen2 has the round lower shift shaft with the 90 degree bend on the top where it sockets into the Bellhousing shoe. While the Alpha 1 has a brass intermediate shift shaft as pictured below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	AL-21421-Mercruiser-Alpha-One-intermediate-shift-shaft.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.9 KB ID:	10530466